Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most terrifying multiplayer game?  (Read 1125 times)

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Most terrifying multiplayer game?
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:54:29 am »

Just out of curiosity, what is the most terrifying multiplayer game you've played? I can't think of a whole lot of scary multiplayer games, but I kind of want to try one out.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most terrifying multiplayer game?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:10:54 am »

TTG's The Walking Dead, by committee.

I was showing it to my family when, at a jumpscare moment, my mother walked in, screamed, and punched me in the back of the head, knocking me off the sofa.

Edit: And because it sounds kind of like an abuse case, it really wasn't; she's VERY skittish (always does the shriek and door grab on the car... "That car's in the oncoming lane. Across a median. And a wall. And a ditch.") and it wasn't that hard, but caught me entirely offguard and I was on the edge of it to begin with.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:41:29 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:30:35 am »

TTG's The Walking Dead, by committee.

I was showing it to my family when, at a jumpscare moment, my mother walked in, screamed, and punched me in the back of the head, knocking me off the sofa.

I almost spouted my morning coffee at the kb when read that, thanks :)

I haven't really met a scary game (i.e. jumpscare games really don't do anything for me) that could be played by multiple players yet, so I'm curious too. Closest one must have been Silent Hill 3 by committee also, played it ages ago with my cousin and his fiancee.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:21:06 am »

While I have not played it myself, I've heard that Space Beast Terror Fright is quite intense/scary, and I'm certain it has multiplayer.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:59 pm »

Factorio with people who haven''t played much of the game.

The sun rises on a mountain of spaghetti.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:31:09 pm »

Somewhat seriously: PUBG - especially when you get into the final 10. You're on the edge of your seat, frantically checking every corner.

Old school, but Aliens vs. Predator, especially as a marine, was terrifying. Aliens dropping out of nowhere to bite your head off.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »

Hidden: Source, a mod of the year for hl˛.

Basically a swat team vs a invisible guy.

We still play it at those now rare lan partys.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 08:48:33 pm »

Left 4 Dead I guess? (and #2)

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »

Dead By Daylight? Seems to have a toxic community(and devs) though, according to reviews and a brief look at the Steam boards.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:45 am »

DbD is pretty creepy until you get used to it being a yawn fest chase game. The horror elements and creepo factor die out after you see every baddie.

AvP will make you poop yourself, especially when another player is a facehugger and you have no idea where they are, then as a marine you sniff around a dark room and immediately get them stuck to your face. The combination of the sound effect with the sudden alien looking thing on your monitor will get you, that's for sure.

I heard good things about that one crappy game with the sharks. It has some extreme balancing issues, which is why I haven't bothered, but the atmosphere is there. Play as divers, get eaten by sharks coming out of nowhere. Sounds solid to me.

I can vouch that Hidden was usually good for the fear effect. Hunting an invisible thing which one shots you and leaves you or your buddies nailed to a wall or ceiling is always neat.

Natural Selection could get terrifying at times. The memories of being the lone marine in some neglected portion of the map while the rest of my teammates built a main base still unnerve me, especially when you know that the aliens are watching you.

7 Days to Die is one of my favorites for playing with some folks over hamachi or something on Skype. You just sort of die and have your shit broken, assuming that you don't make a lame-o vertical earth pillar fort every night. There is something really creepy about three people huddling together in pitch black darkness listening to zombies shuffle outside or beat on the door, and since the zombies run at night, you can't make any noise or try to escape, because you have stamina and they do not.