Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pickup Equiptment: The bane of my existence.  (Read 583 times)

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pickup Equiptment: The bane of my existence.
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:05:56 am »

This is a problem I have experienced ever since I started playing years ago.

So an army of undead is here, and a gobilin ambush. military dwarf "Chicken" is posted to stay in the rear and protect the archers. He has all his armor and weapons equipped (which is a f**king small miracle in this game but that's another problem entirely) and all our weapons and armor are stored nearby in the caves behind him. Naturally he runs out into the fields under the pretense "picking up equiptment".
Bollocks.
First of all I followed Mr "Chicken" when he did this before and all he does is wind his way to the furthest most vulnerable position out in a field and stand there stock still. Its like he just wants any damn excuse to get himself killed! I swear melee dwarfs are impossible!
Secondly he already HAS everything equipped, and he only wants to go up the hill because an army of undead will rip him apart if he does.
How do I stop the idiot from this course of action? Thank you in advance.

Also does anybody know how to train melee dwarfs? All they do for me is stand around doing dodging demonstrations and ind combat drills both of which do nothing at all. We don't have the luxury of time when it comes to training.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup Equiptment: The bane of my existence.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:26 am »

About pickup equipment:
There is a million thing that can and will go wrong under these 2 words.
Basically, desactivate all hauling job, and get them fully equiped with uniform REPLACE clothing BEFORE they are activate and/or engaged in battle.
And give your archer a truckload of ammos, and set the ammos to be forbiden once fired. Otherwise they will try to take back their bolts to reload, wich will result in fun.

About running toward the ennemies like a retard dwarf:
Yes, military rush the enemies on sight, and lose their brain once engaged.
Cut all line of sights will walls, drawbridges and such to control when and what they attack.

About training:
My experience is that training a squad is extremely dependant of the leader/teacher stats of the Squad Commander, as well as experience of the teacher.
With noob squads or poor leaders, you want to put them to train 2 by 2. then add troops once they grow experienced.

A noob in a squad of veterans leaded by Commander Shepard will learn very fast, but a bunch of peasants in a room with pointy sticks without good leader are a bad idea.
Better to put the peasant 2 by 2, so they have less organisations problems.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:51:35 am »

Thanks for the advice! Although I regret to say it is too late to save poor Chicken, he went out like a proper OG though.

We defeated the zambies, now an ambush has turned up led by a creature listed as "deity" and appears to my professional eye to be a demon impersonating a god in order to lead the attack. My question is, am I right and how F**Ked am I? My guess? Very. I have no good melee dwarfs and our defense is designed around washing people off a bridge into a sinkhole. I don't think demons care about getting soggy.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

thecrimsonbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:35 am »

Before I invest too many resources in melee dwarves, I make sure I have between 10 and 20 decent hunter/marksdwarves (that I alternate between training and hunting).  Having a pack of wardogs can help, too.  Then if anything big shows up, I position them at the end of a large corridor with traps and a pasture area for the wardogs if the beast gets too close.  It's taken care of some forgotten beasts with no dwarven casualties for me, but I haven't had a chance to try it on any demons.

For training melee dwarves, I make some wooden training weapons (which limits you to axes, spears, and swords), and set up tons of cages for goblin snatchers and such.  Then I disarm the prisoners (but leave the clothing on, since it will make the prisoner last longer), and isolate my trainees and prisoners in an arena and let them have at it until the prisoners die.  I also make sure there's archer access, in case I accidentally drop something too difficult onto my trainees.

There's also the danger-room approach.