Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please, help me prove to my misanthropic friend that good people exist  (Read 3065 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Please, help me prove to my misanthropic friend that good people exist
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:12:08 am »

Something my mom always said: "You can guarantee the decency of precisely one person: yourself."
If you're omniscient and willing to live off of the land, sure. =P Otherwise, somehow, someway, you're probably ruining someone else's life simply by clothing yourself or eating. It could easily be argued that by typing this, I am supporting the destruction of all life on earth due to the toxic chemicals that were emitted during the construction of my computer blah blah etc. etc. EVIL LAUGHTER! CRACKLE OF LIGHTNING! YOU CANNOT STOP ME, CAPTAIN PLANET!

Ahem. The world is currently brutal in many ways. It should be (and for many people already is) a persistent goal to move each other past that. Unfortunately, we don't always have a clear-cut way to do so, but if the countless ambassadors/diplomats, foreign aid workers, social service workers, teachers, doctors, scientists, inventors, and philanthropists don't provide some role-models for how incredible people can be if they step past self-pity, self-consciousness, doubt and despair, and start doing things, I don't know what could.

So yeah, chalk me up for one to support greatorder's suggestion.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:14 pm »

...Really, is nobody going to say it?

Your friend needs professional help. You cannot 'cure' him by collecting advice from strangers over the Internet. You say he's contemplating suicide? It's time to take this a little more seriously then, don't you think???

If you value this person at all, get him help before his delusions make him do something irreversible.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

...Really, is nobody going to say it?

Your friend needs professional help. You cannot 'cure' him by collecting advice from strangers over the Internet. You say he's contemplating suicide? It's time to take this a little more seriously then, don't you think???

If you value this person at all, get him help before his delusions make him do something irreversible.
I have to agree with Moogie
he not only sounds depressed but this pony thing make me think he may be seriously mentally ill

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:31 am »

Not saying I don't agree, but you're assuming he actually knows this person's name/place of residence to get him this help. You're also assuming he doesn't already have treatment ongoing, and that if he does, he'd be talking willingly to his doctors. Hell, it's not like every person in the world even has the option of psychotherapy/medication, which can get pretty expensive depending on what's going on.

For what it's worth, having been a similar level of escapist/delusional (which I won't get into), suicidal, the whole bag+, I can say for me at least that it wasn't anything my therapist did that "cured" me (or rather, gave me reason to value life and doing more with it) It was having people to talk to, online or off. It's a terrible burden to know someone is suicidal, but it's absolutely irresponsible to drop everything to do with them "because crazy" and expect doctors alone to fix this kind of existential dread. Specifically, unless their doctor is saying to the person to keep away from talking to people about it, my understanding is that it's rather implicit that they'd encourage the person to talk about it, since that would get them support more often and build relationships with people that actually give a shit.

So yeah, get him help, but that help should ideally include you if he still wants to talk.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:29:54 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 04:04:23 am »

I'll ask my friend if I can give you the convo, but if she says yes, I have a rather large filedump of a sceenshotted convo I had with her a while ago I would be able to give to you.

It was pretty much the conversation that solidified our friendship to be honest, also it was either the first or second one we ever had I think, not sure which.
Pages: 1 [2]