Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Vampires  (Read 1396 times)

Half-assassin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Vampires
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:08 pm »

So to be a vampire, you gotta drink vampire blood.  But what are the benefits of being a vampire besides not having to eat/drink regular food? 

I noticed whilst  wandering catacombs in search of a bandit, that a mummy resurrected like 50 undead peasants, so I high tailed it out of there.  I couldn't find the exit, and the mummy came out of a doorway, and raised more undead.  So, like the nice little adventurer vampire I was, I just waited for him to murder me.  But he didn't.  He just kind of crawled over to me and stopped.  So do some undead/night creatures not attack vampires?

Also are there like straight up stat increases when you become a vampire?  Or anything you might not want to happen, other than a city attacking you if you're caught?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: About Vampires
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:09 pm »

Vampires are undead, so becoming a vampire means that undead won't attack you. You also become unable to tire yourself out, I believe, and have increased physical stats. On the other hand, you have to drink blood and can't raise your stats up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »

They don't need to drink blood, though they will crave it.

They also don't need to breathe, which can be a big plus in combat.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »

Vampires are undead, so becoming a vampire means that undead won't attack you. You also become unable to tire yourself out, I believe, and have increased physical stats. On the other hand, you have to drink blood and can't raise your stats up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's all correct besides what blackflyme mentioned about blood not being absolutely mandatory: if you don't drink blood you'll just become slower over time until you do. Can't raise your physical attributes. But they get doubled when you become a vampire and then don't rust, which is a nice bonus if your adventurer has already maxed out their attributes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Half-assassin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »

So if I went into an adventure being a grandmaster swordsman it means I'm a grand grand master swordsman?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 06:09:09 pm »

So if I went into an adventure being a grandmaster swordsman it means I'm a grand grand master swordsman?

No, because that is a skill, not an attribute.

Your physical attributes are strength, agility, endurance, toughness, disease resistance, and recuperation.

Though only strength, agility, and toughness are affected, I believe.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:17:39 pm »

Yeah, that's all correct besides what blackflyme mentioned about blood not being absolutely mandatory: if you don't drink blood you'll just become slower over time until you do. Can't raise your physical attributes. But they get doubled when you become a vampire and then don't rust, which is a nice bonus if your adventurer has already maxed out their attributes.
I think you can still raise attributes due to a bug. I believe you'll also start getting slower after time due to increased muscle mass.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:44 am »

I think you can still raise attributes due to a bug. I believe you'll also start getting slower after time due to increased muscle mass.
Due to the way game operates, vampire speed gets permanently decreased only when he drinks blood. Mostly like "Oh, so you have much more muscles than I remember! Time to scale your speed accordingly". It also sometimes affects mortal adventurers, when they cross some point in strength, where their muscle mass suddenly gets too big to maintain itself. Speed rapidly drops.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:28:18 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:39:25 am »

Vampires also get an outright halving of any impact to them, so you're more resilient to attacks
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:09:50 pm »

the vampire speed drop thing isn't the only way having high strength slow you down because of muscle weight.

once you get over a certain strength value not matter what your agility stat is you will be stuck at 1290 speed.

see this topic http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106449.0