Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What form would you like to see this epic story in?

Journal of an administrator
- 11 (23.9%)
Dwarf's journal
- 9 (19.6%)
Series of letters
- 6 (13%)
Video series
- 7 (15.2%)
History as told afterward
- 13 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: March 16, 2014, 05:21:30 pm

Author Topic: Jack's Journal  (Read 787 times)

CompleteJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Trying not to have too much fun.
    • View Profile
Jack's Journal
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »

Alright, now I think I have enough knowledge of the game to at least make a viable fortress, so I propose to you a journal of my fortress. I'm happy to take suggestions as to whether I should narrate or let one of my dwarves narrate. Perhaps I could even write the whole journal as a series of letters. I will be updating it daily and am also willing to post a series on YouTube for you guys if you want to follow along on my misadventures. Let me know what you'd like to see, and I'll begin when I have a feel for what I am going to do.
Trying not to have too much fun~

~Jack

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »

I vote "history as told afterwards", because nearly every time we have an "ongoing" fortress diary, OP gets bored and stops contributing the story partway through.  The only way we're getting a full rundown is if the fort is finished first, then the story is told.
Human nature and all.  No offense.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:17 am »

I vote "history as told afterwards", because nearly every time we have an "ongoing" fortress diary, OP gets bored and stops contributing the story partway through.  The only way we're getting a full rundown is if the fort is finished first, then the story is told.
Human nature and all.  No offense.

I'm forced to disagree, but then, I'm a bit of an exception, I know.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:45 am »

journal of administrator/history told afterwards.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

CompleteJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »

It seems as if the History and Administrator journal options are the most popular so far. I've decided that if I wrote a history it will be written as if a royap scribe were recounting the events. That being said I plan on making it a living history, meaning I will update it with each session, to make it like the history was being told chronologically and in great detail.

~Jack

Fairawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

I'm probably a bit unusual in this respect, but I'd love a video series.

Dwarf Fortress could use more video footage of dwarfy history. Even my non-DF playing friends can afford themselves the time and attention-span to go and watch a video.

*two cents, inserted*

CompleteJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:35 pm »

Alright, as I see the polls have decided I will be writing this as a history. Feel free to continue making suggestions, and I hope you enjoy!

~Jack