Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night creature as wizard question?  (Read 667 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Night creature as wizard question?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

Could you make a night creature, or non (semi)megabeasts really, that has a knowledge of "magic" that can be taught and passed on to mortals who seek it out?

These are the hypothetical situations I was wondering about:

1) Night creature (lets call them a witch for now) who is benign and can be sought out for her knowledge of magic?

2) A "normal" type of creature, a fairy perhaps, who has an interaction with the [MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE] token. Then could any fairy teach that interaction to anyone else?

3) A caste with powers that can be taught to other citizens who aren't born with the power.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Night creature as wizard question?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:19 am »

Night creature behavior is pretty much fixed, so a peaceful cave-dwelling outcast wouldn't work.  You could make them blind which would prevent them from attacking, but that's about it.

If they have the POWER tag they can take over certain civilizations.  If you are friends with the civilization you may be able to talk to them.

Making a benign wild animal or a caste have an interaction to give someone a new power isn't hard, though, just make a creature interaction that gives CAN_DO_INTERACTION as a syndrome.  It won't work in worldgen though, unless you transmit it through an attack like werewolves.

I'd suggest checking out Fear the Night, which does a lot of stuff with night creatures.