Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving a captured goblin-raised dwarf from one cage to another?  (Read 1217 times)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)

I recently had a good-sized siege, which included the goblins' warlord, whom I have captured in a cage. As the title states, they are a dwarf. Because of this, it seems pretty much impossible to transfer them out of the wooden cage they were caught in into an artifact deer bone cage I have.

I had first tried constructing the cage, then assigning the dwarf to it, but they didn't appear on the list. I then tried getting the artifact into a cage trap, but my mayor (a vamp who I walled in with the cage and unloaded trap) couldn't figure out how to load said trap and kept cancelling with the 'no cage' message.

Are there any other possible methods that I have overlooked? I can use DFHack, but I don't want to mod the game itself (as in the raws)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Moving a captured goblin-raised dwarf from one cage to another?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:59:56 am »

Try chaining the dwarf up and then assigning it to a cage?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:01:27 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:10 am »

Build the wooden cage at the end of a corridor so that it is surrounded by walls on all side except one like so:

Code: [Select]
===
=#=
=^=
where # is the cage

On the ^, build a cage trap. Forbid all empty cages except the deer bone cage so that it gets put there.
Link the wooden cage to a lever and pull the lever.
The dwarf in the wooden cage should escape, walk one tile south, and get caught in the deer bone cage.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:38 am »

I believe the problem is the cage cannot be put in a trap, darkflagrance.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:23 am »

I wish we could 'fix' those dwarves. You can either construct the cage he is in or drop him into another cage trap.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:42:50 am »

You don't want to do that, anyway.  As it is right now, creatures can only escape from artifact cages, due to a bug.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

You don't want to do that, anyway.  As it is right now, creatures can only escape from artifact cages, due to a bug.
Yep. Hostile creatures are not a good choice for artifact cages.

However, if you want to do it anyway, the dfhack command "zone" can make it happen. Build the cage, then select it with 'q'. Type "zone set" in dfhack. Select the creature with 'k'. Type "zone assign" in dfhack. The selected creature will be assigned to the previously set location, and your dwarves will (eventually) drag it there.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Oh my, and nobody had written up a patch for that? Guess it is a safety feature, heh.

Right now, I just have them in a wooden cage. I guess I'll transfer them to a ☼steel cage☼ if/when I make one.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »

Don't they need the [GNAWER] tag for that?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:45:00 pm »

Apparently, checking http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6117

There is also a binary patch availible to prevent vermin from escaping, one moment while I change the executable's checksum...
EDIT: Just undid patch, since apparently it would cause immediate escapes
EDIT: I apparently misunderstood the initial bug; it is that normal cages can't be escaped from, not that artifacts are unable to hold anything. I'm going to handle the one dwarf with care and lots of cage traps.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:49:55 pm by TruePikachu »

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:23 pm »

I wish we could 'fix' those dwarves.

And get Urist to finally admit his love for Dwarf Big Brother before ordering him into the room for his lava bath?