Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have an airmancer! What can I do now?  (Read 929 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have an airmancer! What can I do now?
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:56 am »

He is one of my first 7. I'm new to MDF and not familiar with magic. So, he was merely novice mason, until one day he webbed a gnoll when he was trying to build a wall. I recruited him and ordered him to kill. He punched its brain out.

Now I think he can help protecting the fortress.
And, farm silk?

What weapon should I give him?
Are there any other way to use his ability?

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have an airmancer! What can I do now?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:59:34 am »

The Magic section of the MDF manual explains how to upgrade / arm / familiarise mages, so have a quick gander at that.  That uses fairly high-end buildings, though, so it'll probably be a while before you can start making improvements.  For now, you happen to have an awesome ranged dwarf who won't set the map on fire and kill everyone, unlike certain other mages...

I'd recommend keeping him safe behind fortifications, somewhere near your entrance.  Webs are pretty awesome - they override trap immunity and are lethal when combined with fire.  Early on I'd probably use him to mug stray kobolds and overly inquisitive animals, then have your marksdwarves use them for target practice.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.