Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Going on a diet  (Read 2890 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Going on a diet
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »

I have been doing the p90x3 workout videos for 3 weeks. I started dieting 5 weeks ago. I am down 10 pounds. Can probably afford to lose another 25 pounds. Chiropractor has been on me to stop with the weights and do this. He says its healthier. The newest ones are only 30 minutes long (but there are plans for doubles). You wont burn as much as you will in 30 minutes as you do with the originals which are 1-1.5 hours. However, its harder to make an excuse if its just 30 minutes.

dont like exercise, but this is a good healthy full body workout with lots of core. Just buy the base pack for $120. You can get the rest of the equipment cheaper at a sporting goods store. The pull up bar they use is one that can hang over a door frame. I was not sure it would hold, but it does. They exist at the store. I also have an assist which is a band for my foot since I can't do alot of pullups. Few women can do pullups. So if its for your girlfriend save your money. They show how to modify so you can use bands on a door hinge. There is an intro video than each video has modifications. They also say 5 to 50 pounds dumb bells. Unless you are ripped you won't approach 50 pounds. 5 to 20 pounds is fine for most women. I have up to 30 pounds and have not used them yet (but just starting and have not done all the videos)

just follow the plan they have. Its 13 weeks. Pop the video in and do what the guy says. There is a 12 minute warm up video they recommend. Its very good , but I often don't want to be bothered and just need to get done and get to work. There diet plan is a pain in the ass. Use it as a guide for how many calories and what to eat. Don't count the exact protein to carb unless you really want to. If you have not worked out or dieted, doing this will make you quit since its a pain in the ass.

Videos: Don't kill yourself even though they tell you to bring it. Its a 6 day/week workout. You dont want to be too sore the next day. Will take time to get used to it, but when you do they switch to new videos which get harder. Don't skip a day. Just do it even if you can't do as much due to soreness. If you skip one day you will skip 10. Make it part of your routine.

Id also find ways to be more active. Move around. Don't sit and play video games on weekends. This burns calories. Not tons and tons, but its part of it. Find a reason to go outside.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »

soo, to be honest, i only skimmed through this: tl,dr but i guess this boils down to "diet alone is not really that significant" because "actually moving your body is what matters". Those things are true, simple matter of fact. one doesnt need a gym pass or try to get overly buff or so. doing a decent amount of simple exercises on a regular basis is sufficient. things like doing x push-ups each evening or so. easier and takes less time than one might think.
none the less depending on the specific biology a diet can have a large impact and is an easier way to start for the lazy peeps so ill just drop this here:
http://www.soylent.nu/

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 09:09:40 pm »

2) The atkins diet.

I've seen the Atkins diet be extremely effective. And no particular excercie reigiment required. But it can be expensive. Don't be surprised if you end up spending $50+/day preparing your own meals. Steak and lobster is nice, but you kind of have to eat of lot of it to feel full.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 10:14:34 am »

On the whole exercise vs just dieting, it really depends on whether you want to be fit and healthy or not overweight. There's some correlation (not being overweight can be part of being fit and healthy), but generally people choose one goal or the other. I'd go over be fit and healthy over just looking not-overweight anytime.

Exercise makes you feel good. It makes you proud of yourself, gives you confidence and is known to generally make you happier. You just need to find the right type of exercise and not force it upon yourself.

Steak and lobster is nice, but you kind of have to eat of lot of it to feel full.

Isn't the entire idea of the Atkins diet that eating fat and protein (i.e. mostly meat) is actually what makes you feel full faster, on lower quantities of food?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »

Isn't the entire idea of the Atkins diet that eating fat and protein (i.e. mostly meat) is actually what makes you feel full faster, on lower quantities of food?

Atkins is more about 'it's relatively energy-intensive for your body to break down fat and especially protein for energy' so you eat as many calories or whatever but burn many more of them just to extract those calories from the food.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »

Atkins is more about 'it's relatively energy-intensive for your body to break down fat and especially protein for energy' so you eat as many calories or whatever but burn many more of them just to extract those calories from the food.

Wha...what?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 05:11:51 am »

Carbs are very accessible energy; to derive energy from food your body needs to convert it to glucose first, which in the case of carbs is very easily done by hydrolysis followed by some quick rearrangements of chiral centres. For fats, however, the process is much longer, slower and more energy-intensive. Proteins are so hard to convert to energy your body only really does it if it'd starve otherwise

(Disclaimer: not a nutritionist, but reasonably well-trained in chemistry)
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:56 am »

Yeah, "eat less, move more" is pretty much all you need to stick with to get in shape. Go for whatever fad diet you want to try so long as you're getting your 30 minutes per day aerobic exercise (it doesn't count if you don't sweat). Then, once you've lost the weight, drop the fad diet and stick with the exercise and stay in the shape you want. Really, so long as you're cutting out the sugar in your fluids you should be fine. I liked the links about alcohol in particular, good evidence to support a daily habit of scotch on the rocks.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »

Carbs are very accessible energy; to derive energy from food your body needs to convert it to glucose first, which in the case of carbs is very easily done by hydrolysis followed by some quick rearrangements of chiral centres. For fats, however, the process is much longer, slower and more energy-intensive. Proteins are so hard to convert to energy your body only really does it if it'd starve otherwise

Yeah... Nope.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 12:30:35 am »

Yeah... Nope.

Would you care to elaborate, rather than merely contradicting me? Telling someone they're wrong helps *nobody* if you don't give any indication as to what's *right*.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 2 [3]