Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a voice and keeping it  (Read 695 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding a voice and keeping it
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:19 am »

So I'm going to be going through hormone therapy, but I have a deep male voice and apparently the hormones have little effect on your vocal cords once puberty sets them. I know how to sing with my throat rather than my chest, but I know little of maintaining it outside singing or increasing my range in general. I'm not going the falsetto route because falsetto is rather forced with little control. If I'm going to do it I'm going to want a full range to work with. I'd settle for a passable deep female voice, but I'd like to push myself higher in range once I achieve that.

Any suggestions on how to build up your vocal range and be able to use it in your daily speech?

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a voice and keeping it
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:22 am »

I watched one MTF video where this girl merely said "mee-ow" like a cat several times until she was saying it in her desired voice range (mee-ow is a word with a fairly high then fairly low vocal range if you say it that way). She was then able to hold that range for the rest of the video. Can't find it at the moment.

We're doing the same thing for very different reasons, so this advice may not be helpful with your goal.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a voice and keeping it
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 08:41:03 pm »

Any suggestions on how to build up your vocal range and be able to use it in your daily speech?

Practice. Anyone can extend their vocal range. MTF transformation not required. Though in this case I think you want to move it rather than extend it.

Google is more likely to find you people with personal eperience of your particular situation, but if I were to wildly speculate...I would think the way to do it would be to simply establish a habit of always speaking towards the end of "high as you comfortably can" pretty much always. Think of the vocal cord as the string of a musical instrument. The tighter you make the string, the higher the note it will produce. But, the longer the string is, the lower it's baseline pitch wil be. Now, think of a muscle. If you stretch it regularly, it will become more flexible over time. And if you work it out without stretching it, it will tend to get tighter and lose range of motion.

So, while length of string is something that might be difficult to affect, tightness of string is easily within your control. Simply keep your string tight all the time, and eventually its "relaxed" state will be a higher pitch than it is now.

Also, I'd suggest a moderate build up over time rather than trying to force years worth of change into a week. Don't hurt yourself.

Caveat emptor. I've never done this nor known anyone who has.

fake edit:
Also, checking around, apparently there are some cheat techniques you can use to sound more feminine with or without pitch by mimicking secondary speech characteristics.

But yeah, google.