Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paladin Inquiries  (Read 503 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paladin Inquiries
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:04:49 am »

In the upcoming version, in adventure mode I'd like to roleplay a paladin/holy warrior type guy who gets torn between the struggled of good and evil yada yada.  Vanilla DF has bad/necromancer reactions/secrets, but no good/holy type ones, right?

Briefly searching this board I've got this and this as some hints for "good" secrets, but I'm not sure how this stuff works.

• If a secret is added to a sphere, will civs within that sphere need to build towers for the secret to be present within the world?
  • Is a tower the only way to learn a secret?
  • Is a secret the best way to go about adding holy powers?
  • Are there any mods which already have this stuff packed?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin Inquiries
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:04:33 am »

• No. Towers are only built by zombie armies. If you just have the secret, you'll still generate slabs and books (if you have the proper tags), which are what impart the knowledge.
  • No, see above.
  • It's probably the way that makes the most sense, as the secrets always come from the gods. But you could do it just as easily by other means, like a special plant or animal that gives you the power when consumed, or any number of ways.
  • Definitely, although I don't know which ones.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Paladin Inquiries
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »

There is a mod called Spellcrafts, I forget who made it, but its quite nice. It not only adds secrets for a variety of different spell-casters, including paladins, but also creates castes (of the same name and ability to the secret) which appear naturally in the various civilizations. So you have naturally gifted citizens with powers (who typically become historical on their own), but you can also get citizens who are driven to become powerful spell casters, paladins, shamans, and what-not. I think its a great mod. I modified it a little to increase the number of "classes" but that's mostly a personal preference. Anyhow, its on DFFD. Look it up.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.