Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you specify/change path for saved games?  (Read 1213 times)

beer_motor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Lawyerin'
can you specify/change path for saved games?
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:50 am »

I play DF on two different machines, a Mac and a Linux laptop. Previously I shared my save game by manually copying it from one machine to the other (via DropBox). I'd like to just tell the game to look at a particular path for the save game, that way I could keep the install of the game itself separate to each machine. I haven't seen anything suggesting this is possible ... is there a secret trick to doing this? Sure hope so.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: can you specify/change path for saved games?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:24 am »

There is no such option in Dwarf Fortress, so instead you'll need to do it from the filesystem itself by replacing the 'save' folder with a symbolic link to a folder elsewhere (likely on an NFS share, since you want it visible from 2 different computers).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

beer_motor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Lawyerin'
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:13 am »

Yeah, good idea. Wasn't sure if DF would barf if I set that up or not. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:17 pm »

In case anyone wants to do it under Windows, I use junction.exe from sysinternals or linkd.exe from the MS resource kit to make the links.  (I also just discovered fsutil hardlink while googling up the URLs, but haven't used it yet.)

Also, Google Drive chokes on links, so put the original data in the GD directory, and point to it from your DF directory (or whatever - I use Pidgin, Truecrypt and Google Drive in that type of setup.)  Please feel free to ask questions if anyone actually wants to do this.