Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a quick review on my pump plans  (Read 667 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a quick review on my pump plans
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »

This is just a request for a second set of eyes on the very base of my pumpstack before I commit to it. I've been told to use multiple pumps to gather magma together so I can use my pumpstack at max efficiency, but power and access is a bit of a pain. Please take a quick look over my plans and tell me if anything looks wrong.

Pump locations are in blue, magma storage is in red, green is horizontal power, and yellow is power coming in from above. Images are from top to bottom:

Please tell me I got it right... I want to build my giant skeleton of doom.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a quick review on my pump plans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:47:40 pm »

Looks like it should work, not 100% sure on the power train though.

For the third level, using just a gear assembly should do the trick since it'll transfer power vertically and horizontially at the same time. Since the third one will power the second pump, it's not neccesary to have the extension through to the second one.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:58:31 pm by smjjames »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:12:25 am »

I agree with SmjJames' analysis (magma proof mechanisma are your friend!) and believe that your design will work.  That's a nice multi-stage pump feeder you have going there, and should produce a high yield of magma.
Happy pumping!
(In the event of spectacular failure, I deny all responsibility.)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:04:49 am »

I prefer impulse ramp minecart relays, but that should work. Watch out for the lag though. Melt some goblins for me.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:23 am »

Actually, no wait, yeah the power train is fine, I thought the second pump was over the third but it isn't. You could still shortcut a bit by channeling over the third pump and putting a gear assembly on top of that.

I'd reccommend doing a dry run to make sure the power train works. Also, if you're going to use horizontial axels, try to use nethercap.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:47:15 am »

Thanks everyone, just wanted a few more sets of eyes on this before I went to work.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party