Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No difference of Toggled colour  (Read 563 times)

Joschi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No difference of Toggled colour
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:55 pm »

Hi guys!
i am new at dwarf fortress, but i like it very much! i am using the lazy newb pack and i am curios about the toggle colour of dwarf fortress. I can't tell the difference between toggled options and not toggled options.
Its like white and a little more white.
i tried to change my contrast and brightness settings of my monitor but its still hard to tell the difference.
Maybe it is just a problem with my eyes, i am not sure about that^^
I didn't find an option to change the toggle colours and i searched the forum and google for mods to do that, but i wasn't succesfull.

So i suggest an option or mod to change the toggle colour to a colour which is easy to tell the difference, like green and white or something.
A little x after an option would help a lot too.

i attach a screenshoot of a stockpile so you know what i mean.
greetings
joschi

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:00:39 pm by Joschi »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: No difference of Toggled colour
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

Try decreasing your gamma (as opposed to contrast.) Most graphics cards have an option for it in their settings. (Or there's a Calibrate Color option in Win7 and 8 under Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Display which has a gamma slider. Might be more useful.)

You might be able to change the colors themselves in Colors.txt in Dwarf Fortress/data/init, but that will change the colors everywhere, so don't set it to something confusing like green.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Joschi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:56:56 pm »

i tried to change the colour settings of my monitor, but actually it didn't help a lot.
So i tried your link and changed the colour schemes of dwarf fortress and its way better now!
i see clearly the difference between grey and white, the other collours changed too of course, but i think it doesnt look bad.
thank you for the advice, it helped me a lot.

if others have the same problems as I had: I used the "another natural scheme" of the df wiki.
like Bumber said, you just have to change the colors.txt in dwarf fortress/data/init and replace the contents with the new settings.
You better make a backup file of the original colors.txt file.
the colours have to be in a collumn to work and you have to restart dwarf fortress.

and one more screenshoot so you can see the difference

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »

Maybe make the DGRAY a little darker. It's difficult to tell, but the words "Enable" (DGRAY) and "Animals" (LGRAY) in either screenshot are actually supposed to be two different colors.

It doesn't help that for some reason the menu coloring system is really weird (bugged?):
Only the middle column is colored in a sensible way.

What it should be:
This would at least make it easier to tell the difference between enabled and disabled in all columns, even if partially enabled would still be kind of ambiguous with the default colors.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Joschi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:14:26 am »

i agree!
This system should be revised, it doesn't make sense.
A mark behind the selected item would be helpfull too