Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pet elves question  (Read 919 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Pet elves question
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:03:09 am »

Hey.So,I want to add two new castes (one male and one female) with the PET and COMMON_DOMESTIC tags so I can embark with pet elves.they will have very low POP_RATIO,and also NO_EAT,NO_DRINK.I have three questions:1. Will they be able to reproduce? 2. If they do reproduce,will the offspring be considered part of my fort,and 3.Will its caste be regular male/female elf or one of the new castes?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Pet elves question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »

Hey.So,I want to add two new castes (one male and one female) with the PET and COMMON_DOMESTIC tags so I can embark with pet elves.they will have very low POP_RATIO,and also NO_EAT,NO_DRINK.I have three questions:1. Will they be able to reproduce? 2. If they do reproduce,will the offspring be considered part of my fort,and 3.Will its caste be regular male/female elf or one of the new castes?

1. Yes unless you give them a interaction that they can use on themselves that adds STERILE
2. If they reproduce their children will be apart of your fort, but since the parents are PET they will have a <tame> which does nothing. But since the POP_RATIO for elves are low, they will effectively give birth to the higher pop ratio castes (elf having dwarf babies)
also since they are PET they don't need to be married to have kids thus any MALE caste will breed with the FEMALE elves
3. I guess I answered this in 2.

EDIT:
Also all PET castes cannot be given labors, but they will have the default ones that peasents have (all hauling, feed/recover wounded, cleaning) the only way you can change labors on them would be DFHACK or some other thrid party program that lets you alter labors
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:35:35 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

it would be best to copy the elves, add the tags and change their Id to ELF_PET, because otherwise you get both elves and pet elves as children when they breed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »

thanks for the help,guys.eventually,i copied the elves.