Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Gaming Pc  (Read 740 times)

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
Custom Gaming Pc
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:39 pm »

I'm looking to build a gaming pc that will be cable of running games on high/ultra.Also the computer will be used for recording youtube videos and possibly later on livestreaming.I tend to make music and animations so I guess take that into consideration too.

More Details:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for any tips, help and recommendations

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Gaming Pc
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »

Tip 1: Get the best graphics card you can. It's important, really.
Tip 2: The best processors are rip-offs. Get the second best or so.
Tip 3: RAM has different speeds. Your entire RAM store runs at the speed of the slowest stick, and faster RAM is at least as important as more RAM.
Tip 4: Make sure your power supply is strong enough to support your different components.

Questions: Do you want a full setup, or just a tower? What sort of extras such as disk drives do you want? Are you willing to put up with setting up a water cooling system? Do you care enough about musical quality to pay a couple hundred for a quality sound card?

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:18 pm »

Not sure what you mean by full setup.I'd probably prefer a tower set up with a middle sized case probably maybe even a large one but I'll have to look into that once I pick a motherboard and gpu etc.
I will probably settle on a normal disc drive without blueray support since its cheaper and I wont be needing blueray.
Personally I prefer water cooling since it will be quieter than fans and more effective but if it leaks or the pump gets damaged I'll end up with fried electronics.I'll probably set up fans first since they are cheaper and I probably wont be overclocking but I might use water cooling later on.
I'll probably settle for a lower quality sound card probably something cheapish and not that expensive as a couple hundred.

I agree with you on the processors since the best ones are usually just 0.10 ghz faster or whatever but still cost like a ton more.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:03 pm »

Not sure what you mean by full setup.I'd probably prefer a tower set up with a middle sized case probably maybe even a large one but I'll have to look into that once I pick a motherboard and gpu etc.
Full setup- Monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc.

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »

Oh alright.Yup I will be going for a full set up then

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »

Alright, in that case you probably aren't going to get a top-of-the-line rig for 1000 euros, in my opinion. You might be able to, but I doubt it personally :P.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

It looks like you haven't built a computer in a while- for example, you DEFINITELY want DDR3 RAM and you almost certainly want a 1TB HDD if you're gaming (it's not much more expensive than 500GB and would be a small part of your budget). Frankly, you should consider a RAID array (simultaneously back up your data on two identical drives). For reference though, start here:

Logical Increments

You can probably build one of the computers straight off that example list, throw in a sound card and a WiFi card, and be very happy with it. In my opinion a thousand pounds is also plenty of money- past 800 or so you really start to see diminishing returns and unless you REALLY insist on having the latest stuff, it's not worth it to spend more compared to upgrading later.

Within your budget, you're probably already looking at a close to top-end Nvidia video card (Nvidia owns the top of the market) and a good i5 processor (you don't really need more), as well as 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM. It's important to think about what the slowest part of your setup will be, but assuming it's not processor-limited (shouldn't be with a recent i5) a 180 pound Nvidia GTX 760 graphics card will get you a consistent 60FPS at maximum settings and 1080p resolution in Tomb Raider or Skyrim, and 45 FPS in Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei