Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug/exploit concerning bladed crossbows  (Read 1243 times)

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug/exploit concerning bladed crossbows
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:40:15 am »

I discovered that if one adds a dagger to a repeating crossbow the resulting bladed, repeatingcrossbow is treated as if it is entirely made from the dagger material. I discovered this oddity while producing high grade crossbows for my military. I usually use bone crossbows, because bone is usually an easily available resource and not heavy. By mass-producing I quickly train a dedicated bowmaker to become legendary (the resulting masses of low quality crossbows can be traded). The same is being done with rock mechanisms. Once you have high grade, bone crossbows and rock mechanisms one can merge the two into repeating, bone crossbows, which by themselves are not worth more than the simple crossbows. Then merge you merge the masterful bone, repeating crossbows with metal daggers.  While I could only add fairly low quality daggers (my weapon smith wasn’t trained yet), the result was usually an at least exceptional FULL metal, bladed, repeatingcrossbow! The whole crossbow morphed into the material of the dagger while keeping a overall high quality of at least exceptional. This way you produce a high value metal weapon relatively early even if you lack a high-level weapon smith. Also production of high quality, welded mithril, bladed repeatingcrossbows by the dozens is possible to give to your military without using to up too many precious resources.

PS: A masterwork, welded mithril, bladed, repeatingcrossbow is worth 9000 urists. Compared to a high quality battleaxe of the same material, this may be less but one only needs a low quality dagger which only consumes 1 bar compared to the 3 bars of the battleaxe.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bug/exploit concerning bladed crossbows
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:47:44 am »

Having not played Masterwork, I don't know how to deal with this,

But I do know that if you instead change the material of the bladed crossbow to use the original material, then it would also nullify the point why you installed the blade mod instead. It has to be this way, to allow for material strengths to be applied. You don't want to apply a steel dagger to a crossbow except only finding out that you've made a *wooden crossbow* that can't even stab well.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:44 am »

It is intentional. Since the weapon can only have one material, it made more sense to take the daggers material, otherwise they would be pointless (ha, get it) in melee.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:53 am »

Yea, I guessed that already, makes perfect sense!

I was simply trying to point out the value increase. Normally it is a lengthy process to get a descent weaponsmith (lucky moods excluded), which can produce high quality, weapons made from high value materials. With the way I described one can use cheap materials in mass production to train dwarves. And use their high skill to create objects made of those high class metals, simply by combining their products with the high-value material but low quality products made by a random untrained weaponsmith. Excellent for export-production as well...

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »

Won't really be a workaround for this until Toady allows for weapons to have different materials comprising the different parts of the same weapon.  As it is, all weapons are considered to be entirely made of whatever material you made them out of: metal bolts are considered to be entirely metal, rather than metal head with wooden shaft, for example.

Man, that'll be a great quality of life update when he ever gets around to it!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.