Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attila: Total War: Worth it?  (Read 741 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Attila: Total War: Worth it?
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »

NT
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Attila: Total War: Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »

It's a marked improvement on Rome 2 but not on par with Total Warhammer.  A lot of the factions are pretty samey and while I get why others like it, the fertility mechanic is kind of awful IMO.

Without mentioning your priorities or preferences you really haven't given us much to go on here.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »

I saw it for  10€ and am kind of curious. How does it compare with  shogun 2 and the like?  More importantly, how does it compare to Medieval 2 or Rome 1 with enhaced AI?

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Nothing compares with Shogun 2 or Medieval 2 (Or Napoleon, if you're a fan of heavy-modding and line battles)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »

I thought Rome 2 was a lot better than Attila after it got fixed and worked on. Attila was kinda meh to me. Plus super annoying campaign mechanics. Felt far too much like needing to rush the campaign. I always prefer expanding slowly. Maybe that isn't a problem for you, but you REALLY have to rush the campaign and blob out quick in Attila.

I'm one of the few that like Rome 2 (and now Warhammer Total War) better than the older versions. Medieval 2 has epic mods and all, but the factions are so limited...it feels too empty and barren. When I play Rome 2, the world feels full of life and other factions. Going back to Rome 1, even with amazing mods, it really feels like going miles back with limited faction slots. Warhammer total war is the same way sorta, but that is because its missing a lot of races/factions

If rome 1/medieval 2 didn't hardlock the amount of factions modders could add to the game, I'd think they were a lot better. Too bad though that you can't mod more factions into the game, without very quickly hitting the hardlock the developers put in place. Its one reason I like the newer total wars, and games like EU4 and CK2...tons and tons of factions to play as. And if they are locked (like in Rome 2), you can just mod it to unlock all of them.

As an additional post edit note

The combat in the older Total Wars is nowhere near as good. That is obvious because they are older. But a horse charge feels like they ran into a bunch of pillows. Dunno how else to describe it. In the new total wars, there is mass impact, feels like an actual charge. Combat animations vastly better. Yeah its because they are new and modern, but going back to the old combat is incredibly hard and far less satisfying.

Anyway this thread is about Attila of course, but some people are talking about other Total Wars. Even though I like Rome 2 a lot more, Attila is still better than how the older Total Wars were. And playing as western roman empire is like playing a hardcore survival strategy game. Its by far the most faction in Attila.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:00:18 pm by Kazagarth »