Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are (not) a Strike Witch!  (Read 1063 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
You are (not) a Strike Witch!
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »

I'm trying to build an RtD based around an amalgamation of Strike Witches, Armored Core, X-Com, Kill-la-Kill, and various other influences.

But before any of that, it's time to shape the world through a nice suggestion game! No rolls! Longer lifespan! CHOICES!

In fact, I need everyone to choose what character they'd like to experience first! Just like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, there are five characters in need of mental torment telling their story!

Celise Scott, UCS (United Continental States) stationed at Fort Pallas, one-star witch under the command of 3-Star Major Iori Kurou
Derya Levni, OCU (Oceania Community Union) aboard the OCU Supercarrier, two-star witch of the HORNET Group
Satomi Aoryu, PRM (People's Republic Military)  stationed at the Emperor Palace, South Wing, one-star witch under the command of Callsign PHOENIX
Saya Alderan, RSU (Rising Sun Union) stationed at Hidden Base, Desert, one-star witch under the command of Callsign Honey Queen
Tamara Degyatrev, RSF (Russian Special Forces) stationed in Moscow, three-star witch known as Callsign Black Sky

Also. I will accidentally call the UCS "USN" multiple times. You've been fairly warned.

Each story offers something different. I'll railroad a bit (no "strip off clothes and embrace enemy" wackiness, no "completely ignore what's going on and derail super hard") but I'll allow other/free choice in most scenarios. In general:

Details that won't potentially give away story arcs:
Clerise: She's working at the most luxurious base imaginable, but there's reasons for it. Her magic potential is extremely high, and she uses a recon setup. She prefers not to fight, and believes the war is a defensive one.
Derya: Quiet and shy, but surprisingly rugged. She's a special operative.
Satomi: Working as a bodyguard. A bit oblivious and ditzy, but she genuinely cares about people.
Saya: Unhappy with life in general, just going through the motions. Works for the military not out of any personal choice.
Tamara: I... I don't know yet, a ha ha.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are (not) a Strike Witch!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »

That "(not)" is scary.

Satomi Aoryu

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »

PTW:

Clerise: she was Celise a minute ago! Does she have multiple personalities, or multiple secret identities?

Also, recommend work more on the names and nations. They seem very incongruent. e.g. why is the "People's Republic" one Japanese-sounding and not Chinese, whilst "Saya Alderan" doesn't sound like she should be from the "Rising Sun Union" (Japan). Plus, that "Oceania" name isn't like anything from my region of the world. Your American and Russian ones are the only ones that sound anything like the nations they represent.

My suggestion would be to research astronauts from various nations and feminize those names similar to what Strike Witches did with air force pilots. e.g. base the UCS one offf Aldrin. Hell, Strike Witches used real people for the basis, which is going to be a stronger theme than making them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_travelers_by_nationality

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:37 pm »

Typos happen. Superfast Jellyfish version contains the truest details but has no names.

Japan isn't actually participating in the war at all, but it's citizens wind up in every army. Reasons for this, though 80% of the people who leave Japan to fight go to the OCU/UCS... I don't think we'll cover it in the story, but Japan is cranking out weapons of war like crazy, and pretending to douse all the hot-blooded diplomats in cold water when they're really fanning the flames, and hard.

Rising Sun Union... DAMNIT. Supposed to be "Red Sun Union". I knew I'd call it "Rising" at one point, like an idiot.

Oceania is what we call "all the islands in the Pacific around Japan and Australia" from my understanding.

I could do the astronaut bit, but I'd rather recycle-blend-lacerate names from the source ideas. Which is worse. Trust me.

especially if RSU becomes Shamir, because of the leftover trauma from dealing with that shotgun-toting bloodthirsty arachnophiliac psycho with two lines of dialogue total

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:18:12 am »

Saya Alderan of the Sun Sisterhood of the Rising Sun Union under the command (or designation?) of operative Honey Queen seems to win in the cool names department.

Spoiler: Story Details (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:44:03 pm »

Most interesting then...

Clerise isn't super interesting, there's only one fight and the whole thing is "my superior is so cool, this base is so cool, life on this side of the war is great~ until the fight itself)
Derya is going to be pretty interesting- especially since it was meant to be right after Clerise and utterly destroy the opinions pressed on you. So don't do that one yet. I may still have to work on the implications as they get pretty dark and eww.
Satomi has some action, and some political intrigue. It's a good starting point, as good as Clerise would be, and she was intended to be the start.
Saya gets a somewhat different version of what Derya gets, in that it's passively given to her instead of actively.
Tamara is going to go toe-to-toe with the aliens, which is pretty cool. You learn that they mostly look the same but are do have "forms", and about the continent-sized ship in the Pacific Ocean. You can start here too.

I'll start with Tamara or Clerise tomorrow if not a coinflip, the others are in effect locked until two people come in and vote for Satomi, Derya and Saya aren't available as of yet.

Oh yeah, by the way, Saya gets hit with the sad stick, but Derya is beaten within an inch of "soul-crushing". Still, you need to do Derya's line first.

In Derya's line, you learn a lot about Witches, how they're different because of their training, how they can be broken despite superhuman healing and the like (note, superhuman isn't "24hr healing" nor is it "immortality". Witches can just survive more and for longer than the average human.), cons to becoming a witch, cons of being a witch that none of them can help anyway, and... various other things.

I suggest:
Clarise > Satomi > Derya > Saya > Tamara. Clarise's story plays off of Satomi's and Derya's, Saya's links to Derya's, Tamara is somewhat standalone.

HURRY AND VOTE, PEOPLE. TOMORROW, IT BEGINS

P.S.

Satomi and Clerise will have the more light-hearted stories and Tamara's isn't too dark. I'd save Satomi for when you've just went through Derya and maybe Saya if you're all hard-asses and need to remember the times that a Witch was having a good day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:48:41 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:12:51 pm »

Alright, Clarise seems like a good starting point.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »

Uncertain future, may or may not be able to return to this. If there's a post here Friday, I'll see what I can do, if not, I'll allow this a quiet, painless death.