Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer Issues  (Read 693 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
Computer Issues
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »

Okay, so I recently built two computers, one for me and one for my brother. They are identical in everything except for the case. Mine runs everything just fine. However, games on my brother's computer randomly crash to desktop inexplicably, and by games I mean everything it tries to run. The crash usually happens around an hour of playtime, for something like TF2, to 5 minutes, for Next Car Game. Sometimes they have an error message, but most of the time they don't. I have updated and reinstalled all the drivers on it, and have had a professional look at the hardware. He said the hardware checks out. I am at my wit's end here.

I will post the exact specs in one week, as I do not have access to his computer right now, but can you guys please spitball any ideas until I scrounge them up?
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »

They are identical in everything except for the case.
Maybe the case is the problem.. overheating components, perhaps?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »

Also make sure every component, cable, etc. is securely seated in its port/housing, just in case.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:03:16 am »

Have you checked to see if your computer is plugged in? Have you wiggled all the dongles?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:56:45 am »

Only after an hour of an intensive application? Sounds like an overheating problem to me. Maybe it's the case? Or it could be a poorly/wrongly connected power cable?

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:18:21 pm »

I'm thinking it may be the psu, the wires are a little short.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »

Will the computer crash if you just turn it on and just leave it at the desktop without any games or major programs running?  That might also indicate overheating.

Also, have you run a virus scan lately?  It could be a software issue.  Though the parts are the same, chances are you and your brother browse different websites and download different things.

BoboJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:04 pm »

Maybe your RAM is broken? You can just download some software to test that.

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

If they really are identical, you can also try swapping parts from your computer into his.  Run both systems with video cards swapped, then with RAM swapped, then with power supplies swapped, etc.

Run Memtest86+ (all tests) to check the memory and memory access.  It may turn up problems with the memory, or with the memory-related components on the motherboard.  I once had a motherboard where a particular DIMM slot caused corruptions, no matter what RAM was in it.

Check windows system event logs (run "Event Viewer") at the time of the crashes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:34 am »

Doesn't sound like overheating, overheating generally just causes your computer to shut down instantly to prevent damage, not kill processes.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.