Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rise of the Lakal Goshist (The Winnowers of Impurities)  (Read 1034 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rise of the Lakal Goshist (The Winnowers of Impurities)
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:07:05 pm »

Once upon a time, there was a Mountainhome. This Mountainhome decided to create Supersoldiers to wipe out those annoying Elves. Inspired by the vicious Necromancers, who animated the dead to live as never-ending soldiers, the Dwarves utilized various means, including but not limited to magma burns, Forgotten Beast dust, forcing their test subjects to battle pets (often pets that had adopted the same children they were thrown into the same lab with) and other means to remove the flesh, the fat, and most of the Dorfen organs. In addition, all test subjects were coated in steel. They created a race of Dwarves that were the epitome of the Dwarven condition. Warriors battle-hardened from birth, terrorized by livestock since the moment they were ripped from their mother's arms and thrown into their new homes. They were--they ARE the perfect fighting Dwarves. They were too perfect, and wiped out the entire Mountainhome.

Now they Lakal roam the world, seeking out warriors capable of besting them in combat, and kidnapping Recruiting Dwarven children. They consider themselves the elite soldiers of Armok, and to a Dwarf bear an intense dislike for Elves--the race they were designed to destroy. They are all taught from a young age the secrets of Dwarf trappery, and all Dwarf Lakal are 100% trap-avoid.

Only one out of every hundred children make it through the "Recruitment" process. But when they do, they care about nothing, they are little more than walking skeletons with muscles, and a strong desire to kill. Part fundamentalist religious cult (Blood for the Blood God!), part supersoldiers who, through !!Science!!, eugenics, and more the Lakal Goshist are the epitome of Dwarven combat potential.

The survivors, fresh from their "Recruitment Barracks," are sent against heavily armed Mountainhomes on a mission to indoctrinate "Recruit" new Lakal. When a Recruit Missionary has kidnapped brought 3 new Recruits into the fold, they are promoted to the rank of Crusader  sent on missions to Elfen strongholds.

If they survive a mission (Elves are beyond saving--only through fire can they and their trees be purified) against the Elves, they are given a wooden training weapon, and thrown against Human towns (To live upon the surface of the land is a blasphemous abomination) and Dwarf Mountainhomes (While blood is blood, and the Blood of a warrior is worth ten times the blood of a civilian, the blood of a warrior Dwarf is valuable beyond compare). Once they have proved themselves in battle, they may receive a metal weapon of their choice.

One out of every Thousand Pureplood Lakal Goshist (descendants of the original test subjects or pureblood Dorfs who are truly exceptional)  is an Archangel of Armok. These Dwarves have proven themselves to be true beserkers and true followers of the Blood God's messy Holy Ways. The Archangels are clad head to toe in Adamantine, and wield a (Masterwork?) Adamantine Axe. If an Archangel turns his gaze to your home, repent and plead to the Blood God to show you mercy. For surely no Nekrotek ever will.

Basically this is what I would like to create. This is inspired by the Dwarven Childcare thread.

I have never done modding before so I'm going to be doing lots of research, but this is what I want to create. I'd begin work immediately but I'm in the process of moving, so.......

Basically, every Lakal will be at max or nearly max physical stats. They're naked, have no organs, no fat, no skin, and zerg rush you, but have skills ranging from +4 at the naked level to Legendary or near Legendary for Archangels. 90% of them will never equip anything (hopefully not even clothes), 9% will be Crusaders (and most Crusaders will only have a wooden training weapon to their name), and the Archangels, well, will be Armok incarnate. Because they were raised in a Dwarf Mountainhome that is their base of operations, they know all the tricks of the trapping trade, and will be 100% trap-avoid. Lakal with a weapon will be Building Destroyers. Lakal without weapons are not.

I do have a good idea where I want to take this. Basically, I want the naked Lakal to have a pet tag, so you can capture them for hunting or war, but I also want them to remain hostile--so if you manage to tame them you still don't want them anywhere near your fort, unless you feel like  sacrificing some of your Dwarves to Armok. This ONLY applies to the truly naked and unequipped Lakal. Lakal who have earned a weapon have 100% loyalty to the cause, and will not have a pet tag. I would also like to make it so Pet Lakal will only eat raw meat--no sausage, no prepared meal, and by Armok's Bloody Beard certainly not no Clown-damned PLANTS! Those are for Elves!

I also want to make them Snatchers, but if it's possible I'd like them not to sneak. Basically when one of them comes onto your map they will announce themselves the moment they appear, and then charge into your base looking for kids to steal recruit. Whoever did the Masterwork Frost Giants made it so that when Thieves were discovered they would rampage instead of running away--I kind of want that too. So it can be a Snatch and run if they only run into a kid. Otherwise it's a one-man nakey nakey Ambush.

In the future, I want other races added as well. I'd like to implement slave Elves who enter the map in large numbers, but are already badly beaten up. I'd like to include humans who have average stats but otherwise equipped like a Dwarven Lakal (except only Dwarves are eligible for the Blood God's Holy Raiment). Another possible thing for Masterwork compatibility is a hatred for magic. So any Magic-using Dwarf, Changeling, Broodling, Bloodling, Genie, etc will instantly cause them to beserk and rip the Magic-user apart. And, if I can, I'd like to make it so they leave the Masterwork Dwarven Nuns/Apostles 100% alone at all times.

One more caste that I'd like to add that would be one step above the weapon Lakal but still below the Archangels would be the Battle Mothers, who would charge into battle in Elf/Human/Dwarf Baby Leather Armor, wield a (living) Baby Shield, and have a Platinum [blunt weapon] or a damn good slicing/piercing weapon. I get to try my hand at making a new material, yay!

Is there any possible way to make them make their own Artifact weaponry? Because the only thing more !!Fun!! than a Lakal Archangel would be a Lakal Archangel with an Artifact Adamantine Axe. Why an Axe? Because they were designed to kill Elves. And what would piss of elves more than getting killed? Getting their damn trees chopped down while the elves are hiding behind their walls, and then getting slaughtered anyway. I highly doubt I'll ever give them ranged weapons. I'm sure that they would consider it, as Fezzik once said, "Unsportsmanlike"

This has been swimming in my head for a while, and wanted to get it out there before I forgot it. For those of you who still haven't quite wrapped your head around it, these (Winnowers) are Reavers from Firefly. The make more of themselves by conducting others to the same tortures inflicted upon them. Their higher functions still work, and work quite well--but they prefer doing what they were engineered to do. Destroy.

Preferably Elves.

As I said before, I have ZERO DF modding experience, so I'm going to start small, with the naked Dwarves who zerg into your base, and try my hand at a Lakal Snatcher.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:33:24 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Nekrotekz
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »

It's the monster we created.
Them not breeding during worldgen though might be an issue. As far as I'm aware they won't breed in-game anyway, but not breeding during worlgen will result in only the initial number remaining until it dies from wars/old age and we wind up with a civilization of Nekrotekz populated entirely by the descendants of kidnap victims with no actual Nekrotekz.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Nekrotekz
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:26 pm »

Nice catch. One more thing to read up on.

I think I'll change the part about them not breeding, at least for now, for simplicity's sake. But, of course, any Nekrotek (the name is wearing thin even on me now, I'm sure I'll change it once I think of something better) Lakal Goshist will put their child through the same horors, in the hopes that their child will emerge victorious, and become an Archangel one day.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:34:54 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!