Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dig, DIG my minions!  (Read 4394 times)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Dig, DIG my minions!
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 05:57:00 am »

Now I'm confused... Is there a certain speed the game should run, but slower computers run it more slowly, or is the speed uncapped, limited only by proccessor power.
If I had a theoretical 100GHZ CPU, would it take only a few milliseconds for a dwarf to dig through a wall?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

jRaskell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 09:46:00 am »

I would assume there is an intended speed that the game runs at, and if your system is fast enough to run it at that speed, it won't run any faster (ie the game speed should be capped in some fashion), but if the PC is older and slower, the game may indeed run slower.  I'm running on a dual core X2 setup overclocked to 2.8ghz and the game is by no means running fast.  It took less than 10 minutes to generate my world though.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2006, 10:04:00 am »

My dwarves carry out my pointless whims!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Gakidou, how fast is the computer?  I didn't list a requirement for the processor because I didn't have any way to judge with just one computer, and even now, it's hard to get a feel for what would be "required" and what would be "recommended".  Many hours seems like a long time, but on the other hand, a lot of it depends on how much you pause and plan, etc.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]</STRONG>

Well, I do do quite alot of planning, so that might be it. I have a laptop with 1.7GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM. Also, I notice that sometimes the game will seem to be faster than an other times; however, it might just be that in some games I get much more agile dwarves than in others.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2006, 01:27:00 am »

Well that's it. The entire human delegation got slaughtered when some goblins decided to visit.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2006, 11:19:00 am »

New fortress time!

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

I like the natural cavernish look you got going near the lava.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

So have you kind of backed away from the idea of building everything across the river? Or did you just dig out those rooms near the front for fun? It's kind of hard to tell what you're using them for at this small size.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 05:50:00 am »

They're toooooombs and tower cap farms. Other structures between the outside and the mountain are the trade depot, the carpenter's and an archery range.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

"Welcome to our fortress!  If you'll just follow me, we'll skip past the many hundreds of feet of catacombs...

...Still going, stay close everyone...

All right!  Here is our antechamber--"

"Can we see the tombs?--"

"NO!  Here is our antechamber, where..."

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2006, 08:57:00 am »

Heheh. Well I didnt know what else to do with them, and tombs would have taken up valuable space elsewhere.

Anyway, the cook has gone insane.

ENJOY YOUR DIABETES.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]