Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leatherworker destroys farm, dooms fortress  (Read 1302 times)

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Leatherworker destroys farm, dooms fortress
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:44 am »

So just now i was lazily playing DF while doing a bunch of other stuff and not really paying attention. I was distracted and i realized since i decided to set up a stone stockpile, something I almost never do my growers haven't seeded the farm as they were too busy carrying stone and the fortress is out of food. I franticly stop the hauling and get my two growers planting (fort is only about 10 strong).

A decent part of the plot gets seeded with delicious Plump Helmets and it looks like if i can avoid starving my fort should be ok.

Cue another ten minutes of distraction and I notice a leather worker is tantruming. I check his thoughts and hes mostly unhappy because of hunger. I check my farm and its NOT THERE ANYMORE.

Note the leatherworker was miserable when this happened when i took the second screenshot a bit later she was somehow only very unhappy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as i can tell in a burst of true irony the Leatherworker or another hungry dwarf destroyed the farm in a hunger induced rage, destroying the only food supply I had and dooming the fortress. Of course I could harvest plants or slaughter dogs but i don't wish to kill any dogs to save dwarves this stupid. Armok take them.

Has anything like this happend to you? i didn't even know farms could be destroyed. My downfall coudltn be  surer if i ahd done it myself.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:03:10 am by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leatherworker destroys farm, dooms fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:07:08 am »

I think stuff they do while tantruming (breaking things, starting fights) can give happy thoughts, which explains the change to very unhappy :)

I had a somewhat related incident once, teaching me to lock the self-destruct lever away when it isn't needed...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:45 am »

Well, she slept in the dirt and was starving long enough to resort to eating vermin. If you neglect the basic needs so blatantly, dwarfs will become quite unhappy, although the tantrum hitting the farm was pretty bad luck. Can it be that you made a single very large field, as well? Multiple smaller fields are faster to build and sow and incidentally less prone to wholesale destruction. The only true lesson to take home from this is to not postpone adressing the most trivial basic needs for half a year, i guess, but i think you've figured that out yourself.

I think stuff they do while tantruming (breaking things, starting fights) can give happy thoughts, which explains the change to very unhappy :)

Tantrum-related happy thoughts would have been displayed, the upswing from miserable to very unhappy must've been due to the successful meeting ("yelled at someone in charge and felt a little better afterwards") or simple timing-out of older bad thoughts; thoughts only last for a limited time and older thoughts on the log may also lose force before disappearing.

All that being said, food _is_ an important concern. Lack of food will not kill your beards as quickly as lack of drink, but once they're down to "starving", they'll usually ignore all jobs in favour of "hunt small creature". Quite frustrating when you have an idea how to save them from starvation but they won't do the job, hunting for imaginary bugs instead.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:10 am »

I avoid that by just not giving my farmers hauling duties except initially when I'm moving the supplies inside.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:04:17 am »

Well, she slept in the dirt and was starving long enough to resort to eating vermin. If you neglect the basic needs so blatantly, dwarfs will become quite unhappy, although the tantrum hitting the farm was pretty bad luck. Can it be that you made a single very large field, as well? Multiple smaller fields are faster to build and sow and incidentally less prone to wholesale destruction. The only true lesson to take home from this is to not postpone adressing the most trivial basic needs for half a year, i guess, but i think you've figured that out yourself.

Tantrum-related happy thoughts would have been displayed, the upswing from miserable to very unhappy must've been due to the successful meeting ("yelled at someone in charge and felt a little better afterwards") or simple timing-out of older bad thoughts; thoughts only last for a limited time and older thoughts on the log may also lose force before disappearing.

All that being said, food _is_ an important concern. Lack of food will not kill your beards as quickly as lack of drink, but once they're down to "starving", they'll usually ignore all jobs in favour of "hunt small creature". Quite frustrating when you have an idea how to save them from starvation but they won't do the job, hunting for imaginary bugs instead.

Oh yes I am aware it was my own fault I've been playing df for years I just thought it was amusing. I didn't know about the smaller fields being faster though I'll try that. The yelled thought was already there when she was miserable however.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:32 am »

To be specific, each thought lasts for 1 year, and the happiness bonus/penalty is halved after 6 months (with one exception).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »

"DAMN YOU FARM! I WILL HIT THE GROUND HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE IT SPIT THE FOOD OUT! RRRAAAGGGHHHHH!"

Quite good, although I still think the best tantrum was the dwarf who destroyed a bridge.
Over an effectively bottomless chasm.
While he was standing on it.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »

This is yet another reason that I have a bunch of 1x3 farms.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »

"DAMN YOU FARM! I WILL HIT THE GROUND HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE IT SPIT THE FOOD OUT! RRRAAAGGGHHHHH!"

Quite good, although I still think the best tantrum was the dwarf who destroyed a bridge.
Over an effectively bottomless chasm.
While he was standing on it.

Congratulations.  You almost made me spit ice cream all over my monitor!

:D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.