Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I dump trash in a volcano  (Read 1807 times)

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I dump trash in a volcano
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »

Started another volcano embark, mainly for the challenge of an area with minimal wood, no flux stone, and a necromantic tower within range.

Mainly due to the possibility of animated corpses, I want to dump all of my bodies and un-craftable body parts into the mouth of the volcano so they go away permanently.

But how do I do this?  I don't think I can set up a refuse stockpile over the lava (no one could walk on it), and if I use a pit I'm not sure how to dump objects other than live creatures.  I'm also leary of using a garbage dump activity zone because then I lose the ability to clean up useful stuff with the mass dump / unforbid commands (it'll all just go into the lava).

Is there a convenient way to have the dwarves automatically dump bodies and other animatable refuse into a place they can't actually walk?

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I dump trash in a volcano
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »

Designate a refuse stockpile right next to the mouth, and then designate a dump right over the lava :)
Works perfectly on my terrifying biome fort, where i too wanted to rid the land of bodyparts as fast as possible :D
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »

You could build a secure room over the volcano with a retracting bridge for a floor and make that a garbage zone.  Gives you time to reclaim anything useful that got put in the dump due to mass dump/reclaim, and then you can pull a lever to dump the garbage into the lava.  As long as the bridge is surrounded by walls/roof/a door or other sealable entrance, then all the objects should fall neatly into the lava.  A refuse stockpile next to the garbage room that is filled with whatever you'd like to dump would also be useful.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »

I always use a minecart linked to a refuse pile similar to how a quantum stockpile works.