Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entity specific metals and animals?  (Read 603 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Entity specific metals and animals?
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »

Is there a way to make some animals specific to a civilization? Like I have a river based civ that I want to make use modded frogs and turtles, but I don't want them to be available to other civs. Is that possible?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Entity specific metals and animals?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »

Animals? No.

Metals, easily. Reactions that give bars of metals make that material accessible to the civilization that uses the reaction even if the reaction has no building info associated with it.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:14 am »

What if I were to create a nonspeaking nonlearning class of a civ that otherwise has those tokens? How would they behave?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:41 pm »

There are actually a number of methods of controlling which civ gets which animals, depending on the nature of the rest of the world.  DF races have them all covered between them but if you're making a total conversion it could be different.

Only races that are specifically given access to good, evil, or underground creatures can have them.
Only races with USE_ANY_PET_RACE can have exotic pets.
If a creature is not COMMON_DOMESTIC, you can make some races more likely to have it by having them live in the same biomes.  It is possible for a race to have creatures from biomes it doesn't live in, but it is unlikely.
I don't know the nature of your mod, but using this information it is very possible to create several races that each have their own unique types of pet.

Unintelligent civ members do behave a lot like pets, if you're okay with the fact that they'll give birth to each other.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:48:19 pm »

Yeah. I'm redoing all the civs in my game so I'm just using the [GOOD], [EVIL], etc tokens to give everyone specific pets.

I also used a mod I found that removed the common domestic tag from every animal and gave them biomes and such instead. My civ has COMMON DOMESTIC animals that only it can use and will also have a random caravan worthy animal (or two) depending on where the civ parked. Everyone else can still trade fine so they clearly have access to some location-based animals too even without [USE_COMMON_DOMESTIC]. So even without specific tags it's definitely possible to use that system to have a strong impact.