Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I just discovered a new, unknown behaviour of Dwarf Fortress (maybe)  (Read 2190 times)

Jarod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I just discovered that Necromancers that are created during world gen actually have the ability to talk to their god/s! I discovered this after I was messing around with DFHack and embarked upon a necromancer tower, once I arrived there I decided to take control of a necromancer (I'll show you how I did this below so you can test the results on your own computer). Before you say "it's just a demon impersonating a god", no it's not, on literally any tile you put you can talk to your respective gods. It crashes when you try and greet the god/s.

Here's an imgur album with my entire process and images. http://imgur.com/a/hNn67

How cool is that! I'm going to go try with other magical beings like mummies and see if it does the same!

Here's how I spoke to the god, tell me if this isn't enough detail and I'll expand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"birthing is like the D-day landing for dwarf babies"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is not the necromancer, any creature possesed with that method can talk with god.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is not the necromancer, any creature possesed with that method can talk with god.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Jarod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes Mummies have it too! http://i.imgur.com/MbzBypP.png
This leads me to hypothesize that all non_living creatures do (except vampires, I took control over a vampire that was in my fortress and he was unable to talk to god)

Edit* It appears you are correct Broken, would you happen to know any more?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:29:00 am by Jarod »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not completely sure, but i think is this:

In an old version (40d), adventurers could start worshipping gods after talking with a priest. After that, they could talk to the god.

This feature was removed because it was buggy.

I think the code to talk to the gods is still in place, but is not normally accesible because Adventurers don't worship any god. If you Posess
a creature that does, you can use it.

Also, the reason that vampire could't talk is probably because is an evil atheist.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every creature that worships a deity can talk to it at all times.
Adventurers cannot do this because they are always created without a religious affiliation.

In older version of DF you could join religions by talking to priests in temples and you would gain the exact same option.

Jarod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah that's fair enough, I started playing the game after 40d hence me not knowing about that feature. Haha I feel a bit silly now, I thought I'd found something really neat