Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on Linux on Android?  (Read 4411 times)

falldj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF on Linux on Android?
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:04 pm »

Hello all. On my tablet I managed to get Linux Deploy up and running, and I got Cataclysm:DDA(a zombie roguelike) running on it. I've been trying to get Dwarf Fortress running on it, but when I type ./df I get the error "syntax error, ")" expected", and when I try opening the df file and copy+pasting it's contents into the terminal, I get the error "./libs/Dwarf_Fortress not found", even though the file is there. Would it be easier to use some sort of SSH installation to get it working? I'm running Ubuntu on it, if that helps. I also have a Debian image, but haven't tried to get it working on that yet.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Linux on Android?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:58 pm »

Android is ARM, and DF is not open source, so there's no way you're going to get it to run.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:48 pm »

In general, you need one of three things to play DF on a device, in decreasing order of overall utility and performance:
A) Native code for that hardware
B) An emulator that runs on your hardware, that can run the native code from some other hardware
C) A remote-access system that allows DF to run on some other hardware, "merely" taking input from and output to your device

Unless you have an Intel i386 or x86_64 based tablet (either of which are very rare), A) is not likely in the near future.  Additionally, most tablets aren't powerful enough to run B) with acceptable performance, or at all. 

That tends to leave C) which involves installing DF on a desktop or server somewhere, and using software on your tablet to operate it.  If you have access to a broadband connection from where you want to play DF to where your DF "server" is, this can be fairly workable.  I'm not an expert on this, but you may want to search for "DFTerm", or look for info on Curses mode and a good SSH client. 

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:50:15 pm »

You are probably running into a Legacy versus SDL problem. SDL runs on Linux. Legacy does not.

You are probably better off using a standard computer to run DF and talking to it through something like TeamViewer (or some other VPN), which has an Android app. No Linux needed on the tablet side.

Even if you got DF on Linux on Android working, I can't imagine getting better than 1/2FPS in fortress mode and long waits in adventure mode with every step. Not unless you are running something like the Transformer, but that comes in a Windows native version.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:54:14 pm by BigD145 »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:18 am »

By the time Toady's done with DF and it hits the open souce scene, you'll probably be running it on your holo-watch.  But if you really want DF on a tablet, try running it on a Microsoft Surface.  I hear Microsoft has a special deal this month where you get a free stylus and magnifying glass.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:12 am »

By the time Toady's done with DF and it hits the open souce scene, you'll probably be running it on your holo-watch.  But if you really want DF on a tablet, try running it on a Microsoft Surface.  I hear Microsoft has a special deal this month where you get a free stylus and magnifying glass.
It would have to be a pro and not an rt. The surface rt is still arm, the pro isn't.

And all other things aside, even if you broke out the disassembly and recompiled for arm making all the necessary modifications without extra optimizations, which would be a stupidly difficult feat, it would have terrible performance.
Now that I've said it, I'm slightly surprised someone hasn't done it, or tried it. It sounds befitting of these forums.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »

You are probably running into a Legacy versus SDL problem. SDL runs on Linux. Legacy does not.

You are probably better off using a standard computer to run DF and talking to it through something like TeamViewer (or some other VPN), which has an Android app. No Linux needed on the tablet side.

Even if you got DF on Linux on Android working, I can't imagine getting better than 1/2FPS in fortress mode and long waits in adventure mode with every step. Not unless you are running something like the Transformer, but that comes in a Windows native version.

He is running into binary compatibility problems. Even if he has a linux-based device (Android runs on Linux kernel), compiled binaries are architecture-specific, so if you have df_linux compiled for the amd64 or i386 architecture, it won't run on ARM, like not at all, and vice versa. You can have binary compatibilities across platforms, for example FreeBSD has Linux Base, a module compiled for kernel that allows you to run Linux binaries on FreeBSD like they were native. However, df_linux binaries compiled and provided by Toady will never run on ARM based Android devices. If you had source code, you could compile your own binaries, but you would probably run into problems and would have tweak Makefiles and compile options and so on.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Insidious611

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »

"Android is ARM"

Uhh... No.

Android devices are often ARM, yes, and that is the most common platform to run android on
However, there are also a number of x86 Android machines, and MIPS ones.
Android is, like Linux, architecture non-specific.

That said, if you are on one of the common ARM Android tablets, you face two problems. One, you'd need to run an emulator of some sort, either a user mode binary translator ala QEMU User Mode or a full on emulation of an x86 system.

The second problem, and the honestly more important one... How would you play? Dwarf Fortress relies very heavily on keyboard work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:51:44 pm by Insidious611 »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »

The second problem, and the honestly more important one... How would you play? Dwarf Fortress relies very heavily on keyboard work.

Onscreen keyboards would be challenging. Hardware bluetooth keyboards are easy*. I have one with F keys.
*modern bluetooth sucks donkey balls as you have to delete and repair the device