Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overworld/Map orientation  (Read 504 times)

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overworld/Map orientation
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

Other than the type of region you are in, does the overworld make any difference with regard to the local map in fortress mode? Also, are there any plans to reorient the mountain in other directions depending on region, instead of it always being on the right hand side? I guess I should stop being lazy and read the dev notes...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Overworld/Map orientation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:01:00 pm »

There aren't currently effects from say, being closer to a goblin fortress, as long as they can access your location.

Having the fortress anywhere but on the right in dwarf mode seems like a needless disorientation, but it would be fairly easy to enable if people wanted to mix it up.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Urganite:
<STRONG>Other than the type of region you are in, does the overworld make any difference with regard to the local map in fortress mode? Also, are there any plans to reorient the mountain in other directions depending on region, instead of it always being on the right hand side? I guess I should stop being lazy and read the dev notes...</STRONG>
But the map is oriented to the direction of the mountain!

It's just that your view is rotated so that you always see the mountain to the right side of the map. Hehehe.  :D

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:23:00 am »

If we could get a configuration option for keeping the map rotated according to the mountain in the overworld, I'd be happy.  I actually think the always-on-the-right is a little off-putting at times, since it makes every fortress look the same no matter where you stick it.

How gracefully would the Tab-menu map handle non-standard rotations, though?

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:14:00 pm »

If it used the adventure mode method, the left view would be rotated and the mini-map view would still have the fortress on the right, but that could be rotated as well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!