Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I can't wait untill Toady impliments  (Read 6780 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I can't wait untill Toady impliments
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »

siege weapons like balista's and catapults would make an excellent addition

Have been in since DF2010 (31.25)

They've been around (and haven't been updated) since the 2D versions. They even had a ballista set up in Boatmurdered.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 11:18:18 pm »

I can't wait until he finally implements quantum mechanics into the game.

Sure, it'll be a few dozen years down the road, and DF will be a different game by then, but I look forward to the day where the game has risen in complexity to the point where QM is a real aspect.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:18 pm »

I couldn't see adding breakability ratings for things when we have a full combat  system right now, but you can't break anything (Or maybe Toady will add in breaking weapons and such when he's working on breaking walls, idk).
I disagree--I can't imagine anyone being as devoted to realistic physics as Toady obviously is, and yet NOT wanting to incorporate such basic material properties as hardness and durability. I would LOVE to see wooden cages and stone mechanisms break because they can't handle the strain.

I do believe those [building destroyers breaking through non-constructed obstacles] are more thought of as digging, as opposed to destroying (Seeing as DF/climbing in DF do distinguish between smoothed natural stone and built walls.)- but still planned for different things- A battering ram can break down a wall, but won't do anything to a mountainside.
Actually, a battering ram would be quite effective against a mountainside, as long as it was only a few feet thick & had a hollow space on the other side. Hammering one's way through a 20-foot thick stone wall would be far more troublesome, regardless of whether that stone wall is natural or constructed.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

IgnacM991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:33 am »

To be honest I would like to keep at least the opportunity to have indestroyable or almost indestroyable walls in the game. Maybe something like adamantine walls would do the job? The material is scarce, diggig it bears certain risks and it's difficult to process... Sometimes I really need to just seal off a particular corridor or entryway, especially at the beggining of the game.
I'm also wondering, if would it be possible to implement new job for engravers: "reinforce" it would make the wall much stronger, but it would take a lot of time - even for legendary engravers.
I like to build obsidian walls in my gateway, it resembles me the impenetrable stone from Orthanc or Minas Tirith (yep, I'm lotr fanboy), it's somehow climatic:)
BTW. Hi everybody and sorry for my english, I've never truly learned this language... All I know, I know thanks to PC games and internet.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »

I think it should start out with battering rams that have to be right up against your walls and escalate to increasing numbers of ranged siege weapons. It wouldn't effect me so much because I cower underground most of the time but this sounds like it would have the unfortunate effect of discouraging players from building on the surface which would make things a bit more dull. I guess the idea is you are dwarves and thus mostly subterranean but punishing players for having a surface defense seems a little odd.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:07 pm »

I think it should start out with battering rams that have to be right up against your walls and escalate to increasing numbers of ranged siege weapons. It wouldn't effect me so much because I cower underground most of the time but this sounds like it would have the unfortunate effect of discouraging players from building on the surface which would make things a bit more dull. I guess the idea is you are dwarves and thus mostly subterranean but punishing players for having a surface defense seems a little odd.

A surface defense is your best bet to keep invaders out of your fort in the first place. The underground fort can descend right down to hell however, if your fort has a main stairway from the surface and thats it those goblins will find that door... kick it open and if you were playing a pacifist fort its finished. On top of that it makes it incredibly difficult looking for 1 stair tile on a map in adventure mode when you can hit a 50x50 wall or something. Really it comes down to personal preference and how much you enjoy having that extra challenge of building above ground forts.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:57 am »

For me if sieges actually sieged not just ran towards my fort I would build more outdoor forts.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:05 am »

"2) Allowing natural & smoothed walls (not just constructed walls) to be destroyed as well."

Yeah...no on that one. rather, it should check the wall thickness. More than x number of tiles it wouldn't go for, but I think that's shooting for the moon.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:49 am »

I personally can't wait until Toady gives Dwarves goals and ambitions, and the ability to pursue them. I would be delighted to no end to see Urist McMayor set up Libash McBaron and get him arrested, thus further cementing his own influence and possibly opening himself up for a promotion. Even better if he gets of Cerol and Tekkud to do the dirty work for him in exchange for money or favors.

I have no idea if this is actually planned and I can see some problems with it, but it would be pretty awesome.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »

I have no idea if this is actually planned and I can see some problems with it, but it would be pretty awesome.

Goals and ambitions are literally in the next version.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/pers1.png
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/pers3.png
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/pers4.png

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »

An AI that avoided obvious traps (think blood splattered corridoor) and instead dug through walls would be interesting
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?
Pages: 1 2 [3]