Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A peculiar thing about Dwarves and strange moods...  (Read 3277 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A peculiar thing about Dwarves and strange moods...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

Are there any special circumstances around child moods? I didn't really have one ever and I've had three in my current fort.
This one wasn't a child, but instead a child grown-up. What's a bid strange is that metalworking wasn't his highest skill, farming was. But I guess that means the only significant factor is what the highest crafting skill is.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

Are there any special circumstances around child moods? I didn't really have one ever and I've had three in my current fort.

Nothing special really. Children have no skills naturally, and thus no moodable skills, which makes them relatively unlikely to get a mood (getting child moods is pretty unlikely if you have all of three in a whole fort; have you been sterilising your dwarfs?). They'll also mood in a random skill out of bonecarving, stonecrafting and woodcrafting, which is generally not very useful: wodcrafting is complete garbage, stone is so common and easily trained it still is of no real benefit. Bonecarvers at least have a _chance_ to make a not-completely-useless item but it's still not a very sought-after skill, they're trivially easy to train up.

This one wasn't a child, but instead a child grown-up. What's a bid strange is that metalworking wasn't his highest skill, farming was. But I guess that means the only significant factor is what the highest crafting skill is.

Not so strange, that's exactly what the wiki says: highest _moodable_ skill. Farming isn't moodable.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 07:21:00 pm »

On more rare occasions it'll be more useful. I've had a child mood for masonry and one for (stupid possesions) metalcrafting. They can also mood for leathercrafting and clothier... Still haven't got a child to mood for any of the smithing ones though.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 04:16:13 pm »

I just got an impossible artifact from one of my dwarves similar to this, though it's just a billon short sword, not adamantine. But I'll take it! Pro Weaponsmith is now a member of the "inside" burrow, safe from the scary outside world (other than my fenced-in pastures). And this has gone to rest along with my stone bed...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 05:26:39 pm »

I like to think that the wielder of the sword has to wrestle with the undead bone decorations for control while the sword is actively trying to plunge itself in the dwarf.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »

I just got an impossible artifact from one of my dwarves similar to this, though it's just a billon short sword, not adamantine. But I'll take it! Pro Weaponsmith is now a member of the "inside" burrow, safe from the scary outside world (other than my fenced-in pastures). And this has gone to rest along with my stone bed...
Billon? That a swagging sword you got there. It's the sort of thing I give to my Fortress guard, along with wooden hammers and Obsidian short swords: Just enough to elevate them above the rest of the populace (my Fortress guard also tends to be merely important and notable dwarves, so I can order them around and have them defend themselves. "The Guild's League" I call them in my lighter moments..)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:27 am »

How do you specify the recipient of said sword?
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »

How do you specify the recipient of said sword?
In the military screen you can (e)quip specific soldiers with specific weapons, which provides a handy dandy list of all possible weapons you have in your fortress for use. You can equip your miners with picks, for example, or make your crossbow user use a bow instead...for whatever reason you'd want that.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »

I'd recommend giving it to the Captain of the Guard myself.

But yeah, that is how you assign particular weapons; if for example you want to assign your best axedwarf the only artifact steel battleaxe, you'd go to the menu, pick specific weapon, and search for the artifact's name.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »

Sweet. Definitely giving it to my military then. Thanks for the heads up!
Pages: 1 [2]