Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma has taken over the fort...  (Read 619 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma has taken over the fort...
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »

So, I left the game running while cooking lunch, as what could go wrong?

Come back to a rotting dog in the bedroom level, and purple clouds as far as the eye could see.

I've sorted the ungrateful beast, but the miasma seems here to stay - I've set up several 'baths', tried to clean them, but nothing - should I have soap here? Some of them seem to trail around a miasma around too.

And the babies have started succumbing to infection. Looks like the dog's goign to have the last laugh...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma has taken over the fort...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:48 pm »

Wow if they are rotting while moving then that sounds worse than just a miasma problem.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »

Sounds like you've got a syndrome problem. If an FB's deadly blood, extract, or whatever gets tracked into your fort, creatures that step in it will be infected. Pets and babies are hit the hardest because they don't have any clothing to protect them. Adult dwarves are usually safe because they're wearing shoes, but they can still get infected, and I've never quite been able to pin down the direct cause. For instance, I used to have a lot of dwarves getting festering blisters on their head and face. None of my dwarves wear head or hand coverings, but not a single dwarf got a hand infection.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:43:56 am »

It might be madness slowly creeping in due to anticipation of a new release but I have had an idea if its not to late already.

1) Seal all goods behind door's.
2) evacuate all dwarf's to a safe location.
3) pump water into the sealed areas of your fort until full.
4) pull the plug and wait for water to drain.
5) if you still have a problem repeat with all areas open to flooding.

Might be worth setting up a temporary base that dumps water on them as they leave and seal it up after and declare it quarantine. Also you might want to put the door out attached to the base on the inside to stop them picking it back up off of the grass and such.

Good luck let me know how you get on.

FOR ARMOK!
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.