Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Just City of Osedasob  (Read 772 times)

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Just City of Osedasob
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:03:54 am »

So here is my attempt to document the lives of my dwarves.  I hope to keep this up until the 'fun' gets unbearable. I apologize in advance if I post a few times and then disappear.  Anyway, lets begin.

The Journal of Marius Gusillegon, Expedition leader and current manager of The Just City, 12th Galena 253.

Only four months ago did we celebrate the coming of age of Melinda Umeravuz and today she was elected our first mayor.  Never have I heard of one so young being elected to such a position.  I scoffed when I first heard she had even been nominated.  I've put in a lot of work to dig the foundations of this new settlement these last two years and didn't see her as a suitable replacement.  But I was in the running for mayor more because being expedition leader it was expected by many that I be considered to continue in such a leadership position.  However, I did not campaign much.  Honestly, I was not that interested. 

These days I am much too busy with my stonework and administrative duties.  Keeping the books and managing the workshops keeps me enough in a leadership role without having the responsibility of the whole fort on my hands as well.  Anyway, our first mayor is a 12 year-old party-goer.  She is friends with half the fort if not more and I swear she is always throwing a party.

We've done great things here and I hope this young girl doesn't throw it all away.  Our proudest achievement to date was piercing the aquifer we found when we arrived here.  Finding it was unexpected and greatly delayed our reaching blessed stone.

I suppose as I come to my last hour as leader here, I'll document all we've done to this point.  We have a robust number of fisherdwarves and hunters.  Food is abundant.  We've built farms above the entrance to our fort along as sheep pastures.  We are steadily growing the number of our flock and hope to have a strong wool industry up and running soon.

We found a complex of caves as we dug down to forge our new home.  We broke into them while digging out a storeroom for rock goods.  We quickly walled it up, though we made sure to maintain the original design of our storeroom.  One day we will explore the caves more fully, but we have yet to form much of a militia.

Since we have a limited access to the stone below (unless we want to organize an additional breech of the aquifer), we built a track down into the stone so we can easily transport all the goods we collect from the surface.  Our first area under the aquifer is a large stockpile and trade depot.  The stockpile will take everything from the surface and sort it for delivery to the proper areas in the fortress below. 

Our last completed project was the carving out of a kitchen and main dining hall.  It includes another rail track that brings meat and fish from the main stockpile down to the kitchen stocks.  The dinning hall hasn’t been completely smoothed yet, but it will be done soon.  We are in the process of carving out facilities for processing wool and plants for dye and cloth. Finally, there is a rock processing center where we take the blessed stone and turn it into blocks and furniture.  My favorite place, I might add.

That pretty much sums it up.  We have had several thieves and snatchers show up, but our large number of hunters typically prevent them from leaving with their lives.

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Just City of Osedasob
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:06 am »

The Diary of Melinda Umeravuz, Mayor!!
-undated-

So, like, I totally won the mayoral election today!!  I almost forgot to vote myself, I was so busy in the hall partying with my friends.  I just love talking and drinking!  And the hall looks so nice now that it is almost smoothed out completely.  In fact, that is something I should do now that I’m mayor, have this place smoothed out.  Smooth stone looks so lovely and so much of this place is rough as if it was just carved….Which I guess it kinda was, heheh.  Ohh!!  And maces, we need some maces.  Those things look so awesome. 

-next entry, undated-

They totally did it.  I said how I wanted some maces made, and sure enough, they started working on them.  I’m told one will be copper and two others of iron.  Apparently that is all we have.

Hmm, if that is all the metal we have, we probably need more.  I think I’ll have the miners start carving out space for that.  That Wright guy said he is an architect, I bet he can figure out all that. 

-Raw Materials Storage-

-Space for Metal Forges-

-next entry, undated-

They finished smoothing the main hall today!!  I threw a party to celebrate.  Had them break open a new barrel of Rum.  Boy, that stuff is divine!!

The party was going splendidly, a month and still going!!!  Then some dwarf rushed into the hall.  I think she was one of the founders.  She shouted something about a rhinoceros. I wasn’t that impressed, but it seemed to concern some of the others, so I followed them up to the surface.  Ug, my stomach churns just writing the word.

As we made it up to the top, I figured what the commotion was about.  Apparently this was a WereRhinoceros.  More monstrous and aggressive than any normal beast.  I wasn’t sure anymore if I wanted to keep going, but I was caught up in the crowd now.

I was never more scared in my life, but as I looked out over the cliff, I saw nothing.  We stood around for at least an hour looking for any sign of a monster, but nothing.  One of the hunters later reported that almost as soon as it appeared it seems to change form to something more humanoid and disappeared into the brush.  We didn’t see it again.

But what if??!  It got me thinking, we have almost no militia.  I know of several dwarves with some training, but no one is organized.  Do we have any real protection at all?!

-next entry-
The 24th of Slate….I think?

I told them what I wanted.  They mostly agreed with me.  So we organized a couple of squads to start training and patrolling outside the gate.  Zelda, one of the founders who holds the title of Military Commander, apparently, is taking charge of it for me.  Which is good, cause I don’t think I could handle the specifics. 

In fact, I’m finding it more and more beneficial to find people to just do things for me.  All I need to do is just figure out who knows the most about something and then tell them what I want.  Let them figure out the details.  Though I did tell her I wanted a tower.  One on top of the cliff by the farms.  I mean, come on, towers are awesome!

-First floor, will store ammo-

-Second floor, archery range-
-Third floor not started yet, but will have fortifications!!-