Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54802 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #585 on: January 17, 2014, 03:49:32 pm »

I still have to read the books (only finished The Fellowship) but I'm not finding them better than the movie so far, insofar you can even really compare them.
You better take cover before the wrath of the internet descends upon you.  ;)
Heheh. To be honest I fully expected to be blown away by the awesomeness when I started reading it, but while it's really good, I'm not finding it as good as I expected.

Maybe because it's a Dutch translation and the first book is just more boring than the other two? I don't know.

I'm definitely liking The Children of Hurin and The Silmarillion more.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 17, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

I prefer the Silmarillion. Tolkien works almost feel like a chore to read, though.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 17, 2014, 03:50:58 pm »

Oh man I found the Children and the Silmarillion super dry and boring. LoTR feels like a chore halfway through. I think I enjoyed the Hobbit most.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 17, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »

I also have Tales of the Perilous Realm, but I think I'll finish The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings before I start with that.

I must say I like The Children of Hurin the most so far, which isn't that hard since it's his only book I a) fully finished and b) can remember more than a few fragments of :P

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 17, 2014, 03:55:27 pm »

I'm definitely liking The Children of Hurin and The Silmarillion more.
In that case you should like the other 2 books better, there is definitely more epic stuff going on and the tone also moves away from the more naive elements in the first book.

I like reading actual ancient epics, so Tolkien doesn't feel like a chore at all.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:25 pm »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:07:13 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 22, 2014, 02:54:18 am »

Tolkiens works are INCREDIBLY dry to read, but I liked the Hobbit as a book nonetheless.

Im also liking the movies. The Barrel-Scene had me in tears laughing, Smaug looks fantastic and the landscapes are, as usual, beatiful to look at.

But ofc, its noticeable that they're stretching the content, but that was to be expected. I dont care tough, when going into a Cinema I want to be entertained for > 2hours and that goal was definetly reached.

English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:27 pm »

Sauron appears, directly, and fights Gandalf, directly.
I found the Sauron/Gandalf thing one of the better additions. It is at least loosely based on the LOTR appendices and stuff from Unfinished Tales.

You know, thinking back I thought I remember reading that the wizards, after they came to middle earth, were explicitly told that they should not attempt to fight Sauron directly.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:28 pm »

Well in the book all they did was kick him out of his castle.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:26 pm »

I recall that the Valar were told not to unleash their Final Forms, lest they destroy Middle Earth fighting similarly powerful beings, but nothing about not attacking Sauron specifically.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 22, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »

That was after the War of Wrath sunk a continent so it was kinda justified.
Sig! Onol

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:29 pm »

I recall that the Valar were told not to unleash their Final Forms, lest they destroy Middle Earth fighting similarly powerful beings, but nothing about not attacking Sauron specifically.
I don't think that Valar (or Maiar) have final forms, they're all just shapeshifters. Here's what we know of the instructions of the Wizards:

Quote from: Appendix B - The Third Age
When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth. It was afterwards said that they came out of the Far West and were messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or to seek to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear.

This kind of contradicts their attack on Dol Guldur, but keep in mind that the White Council as a whole decided to assault the Necromancer, so Saruman and Gandalf didn't really need to challenge Sauron directly. Maybe just the elves of Rivendell and Lórien did the attacking and the Wizards acted as strategists.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:55 pm »

Tangentially related, but is there any real info on the wizards who went to the East and disappeared? I thought the scene of Gandalf not remembering their names was a clever reference to them never being named by Tolkien, but were they ever mentioned in anything?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 22, 2014, 02:44:04 pm »

They were blue, went east, abs never appeared again since Tolkein never really illustrated the East.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]