Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should-we-ignore-tangent-from-buddy-thread-argument-thing  (Read 842 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should-we-ignore-tangent-from-buddy-thread-argument-thing
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:20 pm »

Continued from the Buddy Thread to help it go back on topic. My last post, responding to weird, was:
Weird, your example was never a request to stop invading other places. It was a post about your opposition to the MLP fandom.

Going to ask your neighbours to stop throwing parties because it bothers when you don't actually care if they throw parties IS trolling. And your example was specifically "you playing devils advocate", meaning you didn't actually care.

This is complaining about the noise just to mess with people.

I am changing the approach, and the hypothetical situation used to illustrate how that is, based on your reactions, in the hopes of finding a suitable common context. Nothing more.

Bullshit. You keep changing the specific situation to specifically avoid addressing the issues I raise in contrast.

What you said:
I went to the MLP forum to complain about the fandom. (Still don't know if this is hypothetical, it doesn't matter though)
What I said:
What did you hope to gain from this?
You said:
I just wanted to play devils advocate and open them up to opposing positions.
I said:
An outsider coming in to dishonestly start an argument (aka play devils advocate) is pretty much the definition of trolling.
You said:
I only did it because they invaded this DA comments thread and I wanted them to stop.
I said:
Then you weren't there to play devils advocate, you went to a fan forums and specifically tried to tell an already defensive group to change their behaviour. Where they even the same people? Also, saying you have a problem with them going places and wanting to share their opinions - isn't that the same thing you've been complaining against people doing here?
You said:
No, no, I have no problem with those MLP people! Again, just being devils advocate! (Implying that not only were you trying to shut down their off-site discussions, you were attempting to do so even though you didn't actually have a problem with them. This makes it worse, not better.) Oh, also, look at this totally unrelated analogy.
I said:
So you were trolling, then? Because in an actually relevant analogy to what you've described so far, you were trolling them. Like seriously, you have literally, multiple times now, described that were engaged in exact, by-the-book trolling.

Is there something about this exchange I've misunderstood?

Please, calm down. Making you angry is not what I am after. I am simply trying to illustrate how you can't jump straight to "you're trollololololing!", when the neighbors get fed up, and come pay you a visit.

If the neighbors are only acting like they are fed up, and they are targeting people who probably aren't even involved just for the chance to be contrary in public, and they are doing it solely in the context of a larger example about how trying to prevent people from making noise they don't like is bad, then yes, they are trolololing. That's what trolling is.

I am changing the approach, and the hypothetical situation used to illustrate how that is, based on your reactions, in the hopes of finding a suitable common context. Nothing more.

So you are... jockeying for position to achieve a better standing for persuasion? Are you trying to win the conversation? Is that what you're trying to say here? I honestly can't tell, but that is what it reads like. I know by this point you have problems communicating though, so I will let you attempt to clarify.

But in the situation you've described, both on the MLP forums and at the party, you were trolling, which is something most communities have rules against for incredibly good reason (It's disruptive, it makes people defensive, it interrupts the exchange of ideas, it enflames passions to no purpose, and the people who do it are dicks that aren't really worth having around for the most part anyway).

Like, I know there's a whole lot of claims of "trolling!" that go around, often completely unjustified, but the situations you have described are pretty much 100% explicit by-the-book trolling.

You could go there to ask if they know who (or which forum) did though. That still requires letting them know that you aren't an MLP fan. That was all the original suggestion was. Go there and let them know that-- the details were left purposefully blank, since it wasn't important to the question. 

You can, but no it doesn't, not it wasn't, and clearly it was.

You didn't say "Go to an MLP forum and tell them to stop invading other places because [...trolling? You still haven't actually given a reason here other than a desire to be contrarion, but that's still better than]", you said

Go to a MLP themed forum, and tell them that you disagree with adult fandom of MLP.

This is not the same thing. These are, in fact, wildly different situations. And in both cases, since the hypothetical you doesn't actually care, you would still be trolling, yes. In the context of this conversation, the first is actually worse, since you'd be trolling specifically to shut down the sort of activity you came into this thread to defend (exchanging of unpopular ideas and that you should totally engage with people on their off-topic rants and not ignore them).

I would think trying to stop them from talking at all is worse, anyway.

Let me know if I'm missing anything here, because this is the result of a re-read and analysis of the entire thread, and honestly I don't feel at this point like you're engaging with me honestly, or that you have anything of value to actually share. It seems like a whole lot of empty rhetoric and pointless supposition, mixed in with a little apologetics.

You are demonstrating yourself to be exactly the sort of person I don't want to engage with, and now I've wasted an entire reread and long-winded post responding to you. I am honestly wondering at this point if it's all some sort of satire?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Should-we-ignore-tangent-from-buddy-thread-argument-thing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »

Gryph, we probably should stop this, or at least take it to PMs instead.

If you really want a reply, i'd be happy to PM it to you. Please PM me if you do.

Honestly, It never was, is, or will ever be my intention to purposefully antagonize anyone here.