Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90621 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2015, 10:32:57 pm »

Just remember that typically you dodge as you lift your finger off of the button and not when you push it in, and don't hold the button down long enough for the game to interpret it as dashing.

After time you will get used to the controls of DS. When you do it will feel natural and intuitive. What got me the most, actually, was the way the game queues up actions such as rolling and attacking. It feels unintuitive at first but when you learn to calculate your button presses instead of desperately mashing buttons you'll do much better. What gets a lot of people are jumping, kicking, and jump-attacking, which I never had a problem with personally, I could do all of that consistently. Speaking of that, in regards to Dark Souls 2...

Plus the kick/charge attack is almost impossible to do, I am still so very bitter about that since it makes shielded enemies sooo much harder than they need to be.
I remember saying this back when I first got the game. I can do these moves in DS1 with little effort, but in DS2 with the same timing and button presses it was impossible. But then I started playing DS2 more recently after they fixed the bug that made my Zweihander explode to pieces after 10 attacks. Apparently the devs thought it'd be brilliant to tie a bunch of stuff to the framerate, including how quickly items break, so they fixed that. As a side effect it feels like doing jump attacks etc. are much easier now too, so I suspect that was even tied to framerate.

As an aside, are you playing with DSFix? You don't need to play DS1 in 60fps, I beat it at 30fps, but playing DS2 at 60 feels so much better. If nothing else you can downscale things to play at twice the render resolution then disable AA to make the game look slightly better since it's going to run at 30fps without the somewhat buggy 60fps patch. I heard someone once say that DS2 was a better game than DS1, but DS1 was a better 'experience'.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 25, 2015, 12:46:46 am »

Just remember that typically you dodge as you lift your finger off of the button and not when you push it in, and don't hold the button down long enough for the game to interpret it as dashing.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I finally could kill the Asylum Demon after perhaps 12 attempts. Prior to this, I nearly gave up and came back to playing Shadow of Mordor. I didn't want my $40 investment in XBOX360 going to waste, so I persisted.

I still struggle with camera control, sometimes the boss would block your view so I can't even see what my character is doing... I'd say that's a bad game design there. Nevertheless, I shall continue my masochistic attempt at playing DS1.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 25, 2015, 01:31:03 am »

Did you fight him at your first opportunity, or the second time you come across him?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:54 am »

Did you fight him at your first opportunity, or the second time you come across him?

Second time, once I get all my equipment (playing as a Knight for now).

Is there any good build for beginner? Most guides say start with Knight or Pyromancer, but where does one go from there? Would you recommend STR, DEX, INT, or FAI based build for a complete beginner?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 25, 2015, 03:20:03 am »

Dexterity or strength, or both. You should definitely put some points into strength because it's a common requirement for most weapons, but there are more weapons that scale well with dex.

This is, of course, coming from someone who hasn't really played the game probably since Dark Souls 2 came out, so take it with a grain of salt.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 25, 2015, 03:26:51 am »

Yea I've been reading about quality build, focusing only on STR, DEX, END, and VIT. No magic here. Seems simple enough. I was thinking of having a STR-FAI hybrid, but would go for 40STR 27DEX instead.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 25, 2015, 06:14:31 am »

The reason it's 27 str and 40 dex is because 40 is the soft cap on those stats, and when you 2h a weapon your effective strength goes up by 50%, so 27 becomes 40.5, so you end up at the soft cap for both stats while 2hing (also can wield most weapons, but that's secondary at best). Dexterity doesn't get increased, so there's nothing special about 27 for that (unless you find a weapon that requires that), so you might as well either leave it at the minimum for whatever weapon you are using (if it has bad/no dex scaling, so you can use the stats on something else, like getting the strength quicker or more health) or increase it up to 40 (if it has good scaling). Increasing them both to 40 isn't inherently bad if you think you're going to be 1hing most of the time (i.e. using a shield), but it's a bigger investment of stats.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:53 am »

Oh thank you, the 27/40 thing makes sense now. I want to have a quality build for its versatility so I can experiment with different playstyle. I read that with STR based weapons, 2H is better than 1H, so 27STR 40DEX is a more efficient stat allocations. However, parrying is considered to be more challenging than blocking, so having a shield is ideal for a beginner, but it requires 40/40. Oh the dilemma...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:15 am »

Personally my first (and second and third time through, considering that the first two times I either had PS3 failure or stopped playing just near the end) time playing through I was under the impression that shields weren't very good because most attacks look like they should go right through them but they don't. So, I wore chain armor and used a bastard sword 2-handed the whole way through, and the winged spear when facing the quicker enemies (I actually beat the famous DLC boss fought in the arena area, not to spoil too much, using the winged spear two-handed.). Third time through I actually used the zweihander two-handed. Each time I had at least 40 Str and I think 40 End (In DS1 I think End is the stat that benefits absolutely every build as it increases both weight capacity and stamina if I remember right). and built up dexterity over time with a bit of vitality thrown in there. If you become super pro at dodging everything like I did playing this way then it's not a bad idea, as far as I know two-handing with 40 Str counts as having 80 Str for the purposes of strength scaling weapons for even more damage. Of course, if you use a shield you're probably better off doing what Mini suggested.

If you want to be a true master of parry you will wield your weapon two handed without the grass crest shield on your back, then when you want to parry empty your left hand and parry  barehanded =D

The reason pyromancer is suggested is because he starts at a lower level than the other classes so he has more room for improvement on the build you want to make, and you start out with a Pyromancy Flame which is a weapon that allows you to cast pyromancies which are basically spells that aren't really effected by stats, so any build can benefit from them. If you plan on using pyromancies, spells, magic, or hexes you might want to bump Attunement up to get more spell slots. In order to see how much attunement you need to get a new spell slot look at this.

Attn - Slots
10 - 1
12 - 2
14 - 3
16 - 4
19 - 5
23 - 6
28 - 7
34 - 8
41 - 9
50+ - 10

Also keep in mind certain spells will take up multiple slots, mainly the more powerful ones.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]