Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildlife?  (Read 1319 times)

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wildlife?
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »

So, I'm at last getting around to tinkering with adventurer mode so that I'll know what I'm doing when the next release drops. Loving it, but hunger is a persistent problem; in particular, I never find huntable wildlife in my travels. Like, ever. Tips? Particular places where there's lots of edible critters? It's the only thing standing in the way of me getting super into it.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:08 pm »

You should sneak while walking around. Most animals will run away from you if they can see you.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »

I find that if I'm having trouble finding wildlife to hunt I can generally find something at a river. Crocodiles, carp, lampreys or whatever, they're fairly common in my experience.

Crocodiles are dangerous, but I like my meat to fight back.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:46:01 am »

Sneaking is very important to the newby adventurer.

A tip I can give though. If you need food, head to a town. Lots of farmers will have random stacks of berries in their houses that you can take without issue. Usually I find that I never need to carry more then 10-12 of them for any of my little jaunts into the wilderness, since I only go out for a couple days then go home to recuperate.

No matter how strong or skilled your character is though, you will ALWAYS need food and water.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:20 am »

A tip I can give though. If you need food, head to a town. Lots of farmers will have random stacks of berries in their houses that you can take without issue.

Wait wait wait wait wait. WAIT. You mean I can take the berries and the peasantry don't care, they don't cry thief over the hivemind channel and swarm after me, silver carving knives raised with lethal intent? And I can EAT the berries instead of just licking them? And nobody has told me this for almost two years!?

Blastbeard has gone berserk!
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:53:07 am »

If it doesn't have $ on it you can take it, eat it, kill a badger with it, eat the badger and sell the item back to the original owners. These are communal berries.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »

A tip I can give though. If you need food, head to a town. Lots of farmers will have random stacks of berries in their houses that you can take without issue.

Wait wait wait wait wait. WAIT. You mean I can take the berries and the peasantry don't care, they don't cry thief over the hivemind channel and swarm after me, silver carving knives raised with lethal intent? And I can EAT the berries instead of just licking them? And nobody has told me this for almost two years!?

Blastbeard has gone berserk!

You can take their bags also, and depending on the age of your world there maybe leather clothing (and cloaks) that you can take too

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:32:45 pm »

If it doesn't have $ on it you can take it, eat it, kill a badger with it, eat the badger and sell the item back to the original owners. These are communal berries.

Also I have found a loop hole,in the markets (and probably other places too) if you pick up a stall owners food item and eat it then he won't care

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:52 pm »

Anyway, so, yeah, they're right.

Never hunt inland away from rivers. Those areas tend to be full of little moving letters, then you get near them and realize they're the dumb humanoid versions that you can't butcher because they learn. I once spent 10 minutes chasing a green "g" when I realized it was a grasshopper man. Really sucked, too, because some jerk goblin hamstrung me and forced me to use a crutch.

ANYWAY, hunting near rivers works well, as Kolnukbyne said. You tend to find plenty of stuff, often river animals, but sometimes land animals getting drinks, i.e. a herd of horses. (I ate veeeeeery well that night.)

Even better: Beach hunting. You'll find crabs, sea otters, albatrosses, all kinds of stuff. However, beaches are not always near. Good idea if you're on an island or pocket/smaller world.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

cry thief over the hivemind channel and swarm after me, silver carving knives raised with lethal intent?

?
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 04:06:46 am »

Never hunt inland away from rivers. Those areas tend to be full of little moving letters, then you get near them and realize they're the dumb humanoid versions that you can't butcher because they learn. I once spent 10 minutes chasing a green "g" when I realized it was a grasshopper man. Really sucked, too, because some jerk goblin hamstrung me and forced me to use a crutch.

You know that you can look beforehand what kind of creature it is by pressing (l)ook, right?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »

You know that you can look beforehand what kind of creature it is by pressing (l)ook, right?

Yeah, I was lazy that day. And hungry.

Either way, I never caught him.

However, one time I got lucky and beheaded a giant moon snail while famished.

Feasting followed.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.