Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil Flying Mounts  (Read 1067 times)

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Flying Mounts
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:40 am »

Are there any flying mounts that can destroy buildings? I embarked on flat land with a river and a waterfall, so I made staircases encased in a stone bunker, leaving a lone floodgate (apart from the outer walls and military) protecting the civilians from flying mounts. Now, I've dealt with flying sieges before; they seem to go straight for the archers on the towers. Still, I want to make absolute sure that I can close off all outside contact in case my military fails me. I have a fairly well-equipped and well-trained military but it is comparatively small. My melee squad alone has destroyed every ambush it's ever been up against with not a single casualty. I am afraid that an actual siege will be the death of me, especially if they have flying mounts.

I know full well that trolls and ogres can destroy buildings, but if my experience with destroying ogres in the wild are any indication, they are easily dispatched by a reasonably skilled and equipped swordsdwarf.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Flying Mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:19:50 am »

I don't believe so, I've been playing this game for quite sometime and I've never run into building destroying flying mounts. Maybe the RNG has favored me, but I wouldn't worry about it that much.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:12 pm »

afaik the only building destroyers that can fly are the occasional randomly generated ones

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:02 pm »

As far as I know, and the wiki confirms, flying creatures do not path to a location unless there is a viable path to that location for a ground-bound creature. Then, if there is one, the flying creature will take the shortest air-bound path.

Doesn't make a whole ton of sense, but tl;dr: if no ground critter can get in, no flying critter will try.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:46:43 pm »

As far as I know, and the wiki confirms, flying creatures do not path to a location unless there is a viable path to that location for a ground-bound creature. Then, if there is one, the flying creature will take the shortest air-bound path.

Doesn't make a whole ton of sense, but tl;dr: if no ground critter can get in, no flying critter will try.

That's only for tamed creatures. Siegers' mounts and giant keas can get across just fine.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »

Technically, dragons are flying building destroyers with an "exotic mount" tag. I don't know if they can actually appear as mounts during a siege, though.

edit: Oops. Dragons don't fly in vanilla. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:07:20 pm by Loci »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »

dragons are flying
nope
They do when you-
BELIEVEEEEEEEE!  :P
(And mod them some wings for real dragon)
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »

That's only for tamed creatures. Siegers' mounts and giant keas can get across just fine.

I've had open walls and goblins mounted on giant cave swallows didn't want to come in because I had no ground path through.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »

I've had open walls and goblins mounted on giant cave swallows didn't want to come in because I had no ground path through.

Hmmmmm. Damn, now I wish Razoract still got mounted Goblinmas so I could take a movie of the phenomenon.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.