Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the problem with grizzlies?  (Read 1594 times)

esdo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What's the problem with grizzlies?
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »

So after encountering difficulties when combating some Jabberer i found on my fort, i decided to check the wiki to see why the hell the beast were so difficult to kill. I then found out about its enormous body size of 4500k cm^3. For comparison, i used a cow, whose size is 600k cm^3. I then started to check out numerous creatures for their body size, so I could have a small idea of the creature's size.

I was shocked to see grizzly's adult size is 200k cm^3. So i can assume a cow is THREE times larger than a ferocious dwarf-devourer grizzly bear?

A Mule's body size is 400k cm^3, so a grizzly is also smaller than a mule. I don't really understand. Are the cows and mules really big or we got dwarf bears?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the problem with grizzlies?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »

It's probably an oversight in the RAW. There's quite a few in the game, numbers that were typed in wrong and not fixed because there are other things needing done. Easy to fix though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:42:32 pm »

According to Wikipedia, adult grizzlies weigh from 290-1,500 pounds, with most between 400-700. Adult cows weigh from 1,500 to 4,700 pounds. Mules weigh 800-1,00 pounds. So the raws aren't really inaccurate.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

Yeah, grizzlies are fairly big, but their size really isn't what makes them so deadly: it's the fact that they can have claws the length of your forearm. Also, they can sprint about 3 times faster than the average person, and have a sense of smell around 100 000 times that of yours, so you not only can't run, you also can't hide.

esdo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:16:36 pm »

yeah i saw the weight in wikipedia but still, 3x is just too much. And then, there's the Mule size.

I think im gonna set their size to 400k in the raws...

even tho they shouldn't get much more dangerous.

Oort

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN'T_LEARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:05 pm »

remember, it's not 3x height, it's 3x volume (which should be around 3x weight). So the raws are right.

Have you ever seen a cow up close? They're a lot bigger than they seem from far away.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:50:38 pm »

Have you ever seen a cow up close? They're a lot bigger than they seem from far away.
Absolutely this.  I worked on a farm one summer and one of the biggest surprises was just how big cows really are.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:13 am »

Indeed. My aunt raises black angus. Those are small in comparison to something like a brahman though. The grizzly bears at the zoo don't even come close to the behemoth size of a brahman bull.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:11 am »

I know it's not what you meant, but I couldn't help thinking of this clip.

(Apologies for the 12 day necro)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:57 pm »

Assuming that mammals are made of water*, the 600cm3 for a cow corresponds to 600kg  or 1300 lbs. This is actually not very large but corresponds decently with the 753 kg average listed in wikipedia.

Grizzly bears apparently weigh around 130-360 kg, so the raw is not that far off. 300 might be a better number, but 400 or more is certainly too much.

Most adult female grizzlies weigh 130–200 kg (290–440 lb), while adult males weigh on average 180–360 kg (400–790 lb).

*) humans are about 1.05 kg per liter, so I guess other mammals won't be that different.