Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enraged by patrol duty  (Read 412 times)

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
Enraged by patrol duty
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:02:23 am »

My militia dwarves are training well, via danger room, and have their equipment and regukar schedule for patrol, training and off time. But, as it seems, negative thoughts from long patrol duty seems to escalate. While usually this isn't a problem, most dwarves become very unhappy during the occasional skewering of newborns in the danger room. Is this a bug? If so, how can I offset it?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Enraged by patrol duty
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:30:07 am »

It's a bug. You can offset it via more happy thoughts for your military.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

as the wiki could have told you. The wiki is a big help, I'd really suggest you use it.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Military

Current Reported Military-Related Bugs
 When selecting new dwarves to place in a squad the cursor always returns to the first available dwarf instead of remaining where it is.
 There are still various problems with dwarves not equipping what they should; most notably, dwarves will try to equip two left gauntlets or two right gauntlets rather than one of each. This happens if there are an odd number of gauntlets of any quality level; the dwarves try to equip two gauntlets of the highest quality level, regardless of whether they are left or right. A solution is to make sure every quality level accounts for one right gauntlet for each left gauntlet.
Dwarves who become lords automatically disable all their civilian jobs. When they come off duty and back on duty they lose experience as well.
Military dwarves in squads that are assigned to a schedule may get increasingly angry about long patrol duties, even if they were not on duty the past 12 months

That's maybe not all the bugs, but that one is so well known and it's listed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:56 am »

It's this bug, and if you have a hex-editor handy you can fix it yourself by editing Dwarf Fortress.exe and applying the following binary patches (for Win32 version 0.34.11 SDL):

Code: [Select]
0067A7C9 : D9 -> 90
007E5CFC : B0 C0 42 -> 20 4F 7D
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:01 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741

Use this. Is a binary patch that solves this and other bugs.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability