Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to take care of a crippled baby  (Read 718 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
How to take care of a crippled baby
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:18:10 am »

I've experienced my first unexpected death in my current fortress. The storyline goes something like this:

A wild badger somehow managed to sneak into the inside of the fortress, breaking the legs of a passerby baby. Eventually, a ranger killed the badger, but the baby was crippled.

Here's the bit, however. I had 2 lazy good for nothings doctor dwarves on standby. The baby could have been treated, because after checking in the Health menu he needed a crutch, I issued some.

A year passed by and the baby, now child, was resting at his bed. And then he died. From dehydration made by a broken leg. I fail to understand why didn't my doctors picked him up when they should. About the death in bed it seems to be a bug as stated on the wiki, but still, the doctors could have treated him.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: How to take care of a crippled baby
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:00 am »

If they had other jobs enabled, they might have been too busy. If not, perhaps you don't have a hospital zone designated from the i menu. You need to have some beds in the zone, a traction bench, and some storage.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 03:27:06 am »

If they had other jobs enabled, they might have been too busy. If not, perhaps you don't have a hospital zone designated from the i menu. You need to have some beds in the zone, a traction bench, and some storage.

I have a hospital, fully equipped. Only if hauling has that big a priority because IIRC I didn't disable it for them.
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:30:57 am »

Yeah, that could have been the issue.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:36 am »

Is your water source blocked ? Do you have a water source ? Do you have enough idle dwarves ?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:17:13 am »

No (although even at 5yrs it's still a pond at the entrance). Yes. Depends on the time, but yes, as my work organization is slightly faulty, I end up having specific dwarves with specific labors, that only mull around the meeting hall.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:15:28 am »

Was this a baby or a child? Babies cannot go to rest, cannot eat and drink and tend to be ignored by other dwarfs apart from their mother as long as they're alive. Loose babies tend to die from neglect, with a dozen partying and idling dwarfs standing right on top of it and getting unhappy over its demise.

If it was a hospitalised child that died of dehydration, something's wrong with your healthcare setup - make sure everyone or nearly everyone has give food/water enabled, make sure burrows and pathing don't conflict with healthcare jobs, make sure the water source works properly and buckets are available.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »

He injured himself as a baby, but then he grew (as dwarves grow in a year).

Then, as a child, as he was resting in his bed he died. I was upon a goblin siege at the moment, but my fortress design made it possible to have the whole fortress selected within the main burrow. He wasn't even hospitalized, having been waiting for a Diagnosis all his time.

It is possible that there was a problem with the buckets, as Urist McDwarf complained about not being able to fill buckets, but I might have dismissed that because of huge cancellation announcements I had and the fact I did have free buckets at the time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:42:58 pm »

Did the child take the Rest job? Sometimes you get cases where dwarves won't Rest, and won't be brought food or water. They won't sleep, either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 12:41:15 am »

Dwarves don't care. My militia captain bought her baby into the danger room, and then carted the poor little thing around until it died of two broken legs and a missing spleen.

Hence why I've only got male dwarves in my military now.

Also, in my current fort, aside from accidents with goblins, cave-ins, clowns, drowning and MAGMA, I've lost three babies as their parents basically abandoned them in the dining room and they died of thirst while everyone else watched.

Not natural parents...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »

I've lost three babies as their parents basically abandoned them in the dining room and they died of thirst while everyone else watched.

Couldn't agree more. It happened to me again, but to a healthy baby.

They are dwarvish parents... guess it's normal for them. They do pop one out every year.