Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Today's DF text update  (Read 1818 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Today's DF text update
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:19:26 am »

mentioned something about a turkey seeing a peasant "rooting" around in the dirt.

wasnt really sure what was meant by such a phrase so I went to seek an answer to the conundrum.
Rooting it seems has many meanings all of which made no sense except for two definitions.
Post below which one makes more sense to you.

rooting
Slang For Fucking
The couple were rooting all night long.

or

rooting
Slang for supporting or cheering something on.
I was rooting for Kerry.

xD

Maybe, i'm just scared to believe the truth but, I do admire Toady's sense of humor.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Today's DF text update
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:32 am »

"Rooting around" means to shuffle about, particularly when your looking for something in a messy area.

I was rooting around my bag for a pen
I was rooting around town for a bite to eat
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:28:44 am »

root

Etymology 2

From Middle English wrōten (“to dig with the snout”), from Old English wrōtan, from Proto-Germanic *wrōtaną (“to dig out, to root”), from Proto-Indo-European *red- (“to scrape, to scratch, to gnaw”). Cognate with rodent. Cognate with Dutch wroeten.
Verb

root (third-person singular simple present roots, present participle rooting, simple past and past participle rooted)

(transitive) To turn up or dig with the snout.

A pig roots the earth for truffles.

(by extension) To seek favour or advancement by low arts or grovelling servility; to fawn.
    (intransitive) To rummage, to search as if by digging in soil.

rooting about in a junk-filled drawer
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:31 am »

In this particular case, what the devblog meant was that the game was taking the perspective of the turkeys, assigning them as the peasants and announcing their rooting around for worms etc.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

Interesting. I do like what you two are adding but, this is from the perspective of a turkey. Do you really think a turkey is going to comprehend the godliness of a dwarf, let alone knowledge one is looking for something or that it is a peasant and not a lord?
To give some credit for the achievement that the A.I can even do what it did I took the slang word of "rooting" in the sense of "fooling around"
the F***ing word just adds a humors oomph.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:23:59 pm »

In this case it's derived from the noun "root" meaning like the part of a plant, and refers most specifically to what pigs do with their noses looking for edible roots, tubers, and fungi. It can also be used to refer to looking for things in general, particularly when doing it in a manner similar to pigs rooting.

rooting
Slang For Fucking
I never heard that in my life. I reckon your dictionary's getting mixed up with "rutting", possibly said with a funny accent.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:53:31 pm »

rooting
Slang For Fucking
I never heard that in my life. I reckon your dictionary's getting mixed up with "rutting", possibly said with a funny accent.

Probably said with an Australian accent:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html#R
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:59 pm »

Interesting. I do like what you two are adding but, this is from the perspective of a turkey. Do you really think a turkey is going to comprehend the godliness of a dwarf, let alone knowledge one is looking for something or that it is a peasant and not a lord?
This was from the perspective of a turkey, yes. A turkey observing other turkeys. It wasn't talking about dwarf peasants - or human peasants, or whatever. It was looking at other stray turkeys rooting in the dirt, and as turkeys have no job, they would be assigned the title "peasant" just like all the other unskilled riff-raff. Thus "stray peasants were rooting around in the dirt". He explained the situation pretty clearly.
It sounds like you're trying really hard to make a dirty joke out of nothing. Or you have a really dirty mind.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:09 am »

I get Toady managed to sneak the "Role: Turkey" feature in for DF2014. Awesome :D
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:21:49 am »

Rooting in birds is another term for scratching the ground with their feet, like when chickens do it around food.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »

as a non native english speaker, I read it as rotting