Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal capture  (Read 729 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal capture
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »

After a long break I have returned to DF and started a fresh fort, one that is surrounded by savage wolves. I could use some help with a method of capturing them so I can start a meat industry, any ideas?

KaiserKlay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal capture
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »

Cage traps might work if you can draw them in.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »

Use obstacles to funnel the wolves into your trapped areas. Trenches are very convenient (only flying creatures can get past a one deep and wide channel with the ramps removed) and also serve to restrict the movement of hostiles. Walls offer more options but take longer to create. In hilly terrain, you can make use of the natural slopes - just remove most of them and surround the remaining passages with traps.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:34 pm »

Use obstacles to funnel the wolves into your trapped areas. Trenches are very convenient (only flying creatures can get past a one deep and wide channel with the ramps removed) and also serve to restrict the movement of hostiles. Walls offer more options but take longer to create. In hilly terrain, you can make use of the natural slopes - just remove most of them and surround the remaining passages with traps.
An ASCII diagram of the trenches thing:

..........#..........
..........#..........
..........#..........
..........#..........
..........#..........
....... ^#^.......
#####^#####
....... ^#^.......
..........#..........
..........#..........
..........#..........
..........#..........

Where # is a rampless channel, ^ is a cage trap, and . is a ground tile. Usually, the trenches would be far longer in all directions. If this isn't working quickly enough, you can always use careful military deployment to scare animals into the traps. Note that the military thing only works against benign animals, not aggressive ones. I'm guessing savage wolves are aggressive.