Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Native" materials VS Anything (new version)  (Read 1025 times)

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
"Native" materials VS Anything (new version)
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »

Just out of pure curosity (I might have missed a dev note) does anyone know if the material of "natural" weapons - claws, fangs, spiked tenticles of forced intrusion - has an effect on how much damage it does against armour made of stronger materials? Will a wolfs bite attack, since Im assuming its teath are bone, do nothing against Steal Plate? Or does it still use the basic "2-6 points of damage per attack + strength -armour-toughness etc" mechanic?
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: "Native" materials VS Anything (new version)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »

The old combat system has been more or less scrapped in favor of the new material system, which takes into account the properties of the material rather than a few arbitrary numbers.

The teeth attack use the properties of the teeth material, so they might do a fair bit less damage than they do now. On the other hand, there will be stat caps to your dwarves, so it'll balance out a bit.

On another note, minor critters like wolves ought to be more of a threat to civilians than steel-clad soldiers anyway. That's what the new underground stuff is for.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Native" materials VS Anything (new version)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:13:08 am »

Makes you wonder how much of a threat the clowns will be. (I know, there are new clowns and stuff.) Will they literally have adamantine teeth? ;)