Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fatal error  (Read 663 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fatal error
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:28:29 am »

Sometime, when loading Dwarf Fortress, a pop up saying "FATAL ERROR: MISSING LANGUAGE DEFINITIONS" appears. The thing is, I never, ever change the language files. However, when I copy the language files from the master raws into the save, it works fine again. Why is this?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal error
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:22 am »

I have a funny feeling that the language files missing may be Windows/C++/dot NET language files, not the language raws.  Next time it happens, try just restarting DF without copying the files and see if it works that way.  That will at least tell you if you don't really need to copy the files each time.

Another thing to try is to re-download DF and copy over what you have now.  If you are still having trouble, downloading and installing the Windows dot NET framework may help.  (I'm not totally sure DF uses dot NET, but it probably does.)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:52 am »

I have a funny feeling that the language files missing may be Windows/C++/dot NET language files, not the language raws.  Next time it happens, try just restarting DF without copying the files and see if it works that way.  That will at least tell you if you don't really need to copy the files each time.

Another thing to try is to re-download DF and copy over what you have now.  If you are still having trouble, downloading and installing the Windows dot NET framework may help.  (I'm not totally sure DF uses dot NET, but it probably does.)

Restarting does not work.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:54 am »

Interesting, so it is probably the raws.  Try re-downloading DF.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.