Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Single tiny island fortress at the end of time, interesting idea?  (Read 1021 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like to gen strange worlds, and this time, I genned:
http://puu.sh/63CXo.bmp

A single fortress in year 10,000, with 230 dwarves. And not only that, but they are on a small island and not the mainland!

I never did a succession game as I suck at dwarf mode, but would anyone want this file for one?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Single tiny island fortress at the end of time, interesting idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:12:41 pm »

The year 10,000? Oh lawd. Also that's a lot of volcanoes.

If you were to run a game with this map, I suggest putting it on the mainland. The dwarfs will still migrate there if I'm not mistaken, and you'll be able to encounter sieges.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »

I tried to put in more volcanoes to be more realistic.

What would I get seiged by? There are no other civs o races, the dwarfs are all alone.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:59:58 pm »

Are the dwarves the only survivors, or were they the only race from the very beginning?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »

From the very beginning, I set the parameters with a high max pop, but to only be allowed one site. The population has survived this whole time over the generations. It will be weird as they never had a real war before.

A big feature in legends is the 50+ religions all to one hydra who died in the 600s, but even in year 9998, dwarves still love him dearly and make a new religion to him every so often.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »

Such a game would be quite interesting, and I'm sure that the engravings would reveal a most intriguing history.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:13:24 am »

unlimited pop but only 1 city - I bet your sewers/catacombs/ect... are MASSIVE.  If this was genned on a tiny island such that the borders of the embark all had seas on them I'd be even more intrigued.  How does geographical constraints shape a city over time...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

But remember, dwarf sites do not exist in this version for real yet.

I have done prefect world maps before on very small worlds, and have gotten human towns before that are like little city states.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:58:24 am »

I tend to alter all my races as preferring cites, building walls, tombs and bridges and alter the preferred dwarven sites to Forest, Mountain.  Suddenly all the sites have cities/villages in them and the gobs actually have places where kidnapped slaves can be freed.  My "Luckiest Tourist Ever" game uses this kind of altered wold-gen up to year 1728, and the "Minecart Tycoon" game does likewise.  It's much more satisfying to have places to explore in adventure mode or to trade with/take over in fort mode. ("Embark Everywhere" is quite useful for such embarks)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:10 am »

Maybe I should mod a fortress in this world then for others. I mde myself one world to explore with a modded race that lives in cities. When exploring 10k year old cities, its so big and empty X3

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:00:17 am »

If you modded two races to do this, say elf and dwarf, made the elves' ethics match goblins' ethics (except for also being friendly to animals) and modded all the races to be kidnappers and thieves like the kobolds, having one city apiece and 10k years of history on a small island embark would be very interesting.  Eventually one race would dominate (that's the way it usually goes), but if you required a playable race to exist, there would be at least twenty dwarves left at the End of Time to make a fortress and two migrant waves.  Setting up the fortress in the ruins of one of the extinct race's cities would be pretty cool, eh?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 04:37:20 am »

fun idea ^^ I actually have a few worlds with modded races where the age of empties fortresses are possible.