Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Magma Landmines Revisited: Remote Mines, Player-Operated Switches  (Read 8805 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Landmines Revisited: Remote Mines, Player-Operated Switches
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

I thought about a repeater connected to an atom smasher floodgate in the input somewhere, that should work (it may also help keep the input flow rate down a little so the reset mechanism works).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »

Just tested the drip method, and it works perfectly. I'm interested to see if the atom smashing method can make the switch design a little more consistent and source-independent, though.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:29 pm »

I guess we will find out when I start a new fort :p (unless you get to it first)
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:15:34 pm »

Quote from: itg
!!SCIENCE!!

You goddamn visionary. Seriously. Draining the magma sea, figuring out another way through the SMR, the Skyfort, and now this?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 05:49:24 pm »

OK, got the repeater system working (mostly)

It is the same basic design as yours except with a few tweaks :)

1) A flood gate connected to "2", this is part of the repeater that regulates the flow rate.
2) A pressure plate set to 7 water, connected to "1" and "3".
3) A 1 tile raising bridge connected to "2" (currently raised, normally it would be down at this point).
4) A player operated lever system like the one presented earlier but with one difference: the "output" pressure plate needs to be set to 6-7 water instead of 7 water (else the output will "pulse" in time with the the repeater).
5) The water source, just a simple aquifer breach (same level) controllable via the nearby flood gate.

The repeater is required for two things:
1) It reduces the flow rate of the water by atom smashing some of it.
2) It keeps the water "updating" all the time, if this is not done the water will not notice if the bridges in the lever system are "disabled".

This system has one problem: about once a year or so the repeater will "jam" with the floodgate down and the bridge up, this will make the whole system grind to a halt until it is reset by raising the floodgate and lowering the bridge. Otherwise the system works flawlessly.

I recommend building an upright spike trap or flood gate somewhere visible and connect it to the repeater, this way you have an indicator to show when it is jammed...
Pages: 1 2 [3]