Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do phantom spiders still exist?  (Read 1441 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
Do phantom spiders still exist?
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:06:21 am »

Over the past 2 months, I have been tweaking PerfectWorld in order to create the ideal site for my next MegaProject. I finally have the site I require, however during those thousands of sites tests, I couldn't help but notice that phantom spiders simple don't seem to be around anymore. Now, I have a theory on why this is, but I need some help in determining if this is true or not.
Here's the deal: In the past, when I did have phantom spiders, they would set up their web and then that web (if you allowed it to stick around and didn't collect it immediately) would start to catch and kill other vermin.
Now here's my question: do phantom spiders actually have to kill other vermin to survive? I ask this because since the "evil weather" update, I think phantom spiders have gone extinct in every single world I gen because the evil weather is destroying their webs. Regular rain will destroy any webs it lands on, which in the past meant that I had to turn weather off in order to have an embark that could harvest their silk. But evil weather cannot be turned off, and my sites rain non-stop year round.
Is this actually a thing, or have the World Gen Gods simply forsaken me and after 2 months of creating worlds I simply have yet to get one with phantom spiders?
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do phantom spiders still exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »

I have gotten phantom spider silk clothing from goblin Christmas recently.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:37:05 pm »

Well, that reply is pretty much as least helpful as can possibly be.
Again...
Do phantom spiders require the killing of other vermin to survive?
Does evil weather kill their webs preventing them from killing other vermin?
Has anyone seen a phantom spider since the evil weather update?
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »

They are still in the raws. I haven't seen an actual one in-game, but I have come across their webs in evil-regions before.

Animals and vermin do not need to kill other animals or vermin for food; only your dwarves, adventurers in adventure mode, and grazers need to actually eat. Though some creatures such as turkeys can eat vermin.

Phantom spiders can only appear in evil forests, but I don't know if weather can affect their webs.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:45:35 am »

Using something I just recently learned existed, I can see there are 10 614 phantom spiders in my current world. For comparisson, there are 38 272 944 mosquitos, or 1 157 708 green tree frogs - which I have never seen and have no idea what they are.

However, to actually answer your questions, I embarked on the first evil forest I saw. I immediately saw several clusters of phantom webs. After some time I spotted a phantom spider, so yes, they definitely still exist.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:11:24 am by ancistrus »

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:52:55 pm »

Well then, I found the problem. Phantom spiders (and I assume all vermin then) are NOT generated using the creature seed. They are controlled by the world seed. The more you know.
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.