Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Demography (?)  (Read 1014 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
World Gen Demography (?)
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »

I've looked around the forum and can't quite find anything about this, so I wonder if anyone can answer this question for me:

What factors explain the demographic makeup of human towns? "Demographic" here being a bit of a misnomer, since what I'm curious about is the relative proportions of dwarves, goblins, elves, and humans. For instance, one town I visited in adventure mode was mostly populated by dwarves, was ruled by a human lady, but also had a goblin priest presiding over the temple (who happened to also be a vampire), who had moved to the city voluntarily (IIRC) rather than as a prisoner. There were other goblins as well—prisoners as well as free denizens of the city. Moving to another city in the same civilization, I found a large elf population.

Has anyone done The Science on this? What gives?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Demography (?)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:48:56 pm »

Have you checked the combat history of said towns? I would imagine site ownership over the years affects this stuff.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:48 pm »

It's simple: humans win wars and integrate conquered cities into their countr. Most inhabitants of the cities survive and are integrated into human society. The non-humans have children, they are raised according to human ethics, and a few centuries down the line you see human cities that consist mostly of non-humans.

You can check the exact demographics of towns yourself if you export detailed information from legends mode.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:19 am »

The first town I mentioned, the one with the dwarves, is called Utiica (Bindeagle). Founded in 46, the first dwarf historical figure to be mentioned in reference to Utiica was Ucim Abeas, who became a farmer there in 88. An anonymous peasant, Ucim was born in the year 8 and was apparently of no significance until he was 80. Ucim's wife, Tegism Aloctamun, lived an equally anonymous life in Utiica until she became a ranger in 97.

Before 88, the only record of conflict between Utiica's parent civ, Rereomon, and any other involved goblins and elves. There was a brief war against elves in the year 53, during which dwarves fought on Rereomon's side. Dwarves also participated in Rereomon's war against some goblins in 41, but not in Rereomon's first war against the same goblins in 28. I couldn't find anything involving Utiica.

So, was the dwarven presence in Utiica a result of successive wars against goblins, who are known for kidnapping dwarven children? I don't understand why, though, since in all of Rereomon's early wars, Rereomon attacks and the defenders are all victorious (despite taking overwhelming losses).
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »

In the entity raws there are [TOLERATES_SITE:...] tags, which means that members of that entity would sometimes move to a site of the specified type of their own volition; so if the dwarven entity had [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY], then some dwarves would just migrate to a nearby human city. That's my understanding, at least; as you say, humans tend to be more passive and don't get involved in many wars, but nearly every human town I've been in has been multiracial (especially in older worlds) - I think this is why.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

In the entity raws there are [TOLERATES_SITE:...] tags, which means that members of that entity would sometimes move to a site of the specified type of their own volition; so if the dwarven entity had [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY], then some dwarves would just migrate to a nearby human city. That's my understanding, at least; as you say, humans tend to be more passive and don't get involved in many wars, but nearly every human town I've been in has been multiracial (especially in older worlds) - I think this is why.

That makes a lot of sense. Once I looked into the exact demographics, I found that most of the cities of Rereomon had overwhelming majority dwarven populations, but that hamlets and villages were almost exclusively populated by humans (only the one city had a big elf population, perhaps because of wars with the nearby elves). I'll have to look at the entity raws and the demographics of the other civs in the world, which in my experience don't have towns dominated so much by one or another non-human race.