Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic of the Kizaur (modded DF)  (Read 1358 times)

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Epic of the Kizaur (modded DF)
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

(I dont have time to write the entire thing right now, im going to edit it over time.)

First off, some background.
The world was in the southern hemisphere, and was a world of extremes. The temperature ranged from -15 all the way to 105 degrees. Unlike most worlds, the humans were not the dominant race- instead, a race known as the Kizarun, a reptilian, basilisk-like race of aggressive humanoids with massive stature. They dominated the southernmost regions, living alongside their allies, the dwarves. Further to the north, the elves and goblins controlled wide swaths of land. And to the west and farthest northern reaches, the kobolds and the humans dwelled.
To the south was a small kizarun civilization which had existed for centuries in peace. Yet in 486, a massive elven army attacked them and sacked Aeczilim, their northernmost city. The war continued for decades, and although five elves died for every single Kizarun, it was not enough. The elves outnumbered them so much, that they could not resist the armies that invaded them.
ten years later, only one of their cities remained. The elven armada prepared to invade, but out of nowhere, the dwarves came to the aid of the Kizarun. Over seven-thousand strong, they won a series of battles and pushed the elves back. The kizarun had a moment of peace...
However, they had been decimated. all their heroes killed, their lands taken, their villages looted, they decided to seek their profits elsewhere. A party of seven embarked over the mountains and frozen tundra, through the swamps and around the hills. They traveled far to the west, to the land of the other Kizarun who they relied on to help them. But when they arrived, they found nothing. Despite the climate and land being perfect for the Kizarun, the tall mountains and cold of the arctic oceans, and the frozen swamps which thawed every winter, no Kizarun could be found there. Having found the perfect location, they climbed the mountain peaks and looked out over the lake. What they had at first though was an arctic ocean, in fact, was merely a very cold freshwater lake. Satisfied with their location, they bore into the mountain and began farms and had animals graze. They built for an entire season before they began mining.
They named their territory 'Ytindralidruin Aebidrasvakrilir Kikrobaer', which means 'duskfire the serpentshrine of twilight'. They explored the region and discovered a tribe of grasshopper men. Only one of them was ready and willing to fight, and the grasshopper men outnumbered them, so they left them more or less alone and tried to avoid them. In the meantime, the farms had been built and one of them was working as a makeshift farmer. They built a still, a masonry workshop, and several other workshops. However, they discovered their cave was made from clay and so they had nothing but wood to build with. This hardly being proper, they immediately sent their two miners down the mountain to mine Kaolinite to construct the fortress.
(Will continue later. Adios, hope you will enjoy it.
PS: I havent actually finished using this fort so the story isnt complete yet. I put it on the internet spontaneously, more or less.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:10:01 pm by Talik »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic of the Kizaur (modded DF)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:18:34 am »

I like the idea of this modded race, care to share the raws?

and please continue. with pictures. yes.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:29 am »

oh, well ok. I sorta was regretting putting this up here bcause my tales usually dont live up to expectations, but if anybody is interested then I will gladly continue (once I  get on the computer that HAS the Kizaur so that I can actually see what happened/happens.)

So the Kizaur.... They are roughly humanoid in shape (As in they have two arms two legs) but I completely remade most of them. They use only new tissues that I made, three new materials I made (Blodhstrand, which is organic, heals quickly, acts as muscle but a bit stronger.) Chandrek (Inorganic, used for exoskeletal ribcage, skeleton (they have both) and scales) and Cidaelan Glands (Later on, im going to modify these into several materials. For now, they make up the Nervous Fluid, The Neural Spire (What they use to think with) the Cidaela (contained within Cidaealan glands) and Cidaelan glands (Used as a mixture of nerves and blood vessels, put below the blodhstrand and usually encased in bone.). They are based off of snakes and lizard in design but as I continued making them they ended up being radically different from anything else. they have a long snout, a split jaw (Think Elites mouths from Halo.) two backward-facing horns (like argonian horns in skyrim, the kind that go straight backwards.) they are large enough that most of them can dual-wield halberds.
Their entity has ethics based loosely on kobolds, they have alot of 'personal matter's in the ethics. To be dead honest, I was fairly surprised when they became good friends with the dwarves. However I was expecting the war with the elves as their ethics are directly opposing in many matters. As well, they dont use breastplates, mail, greaves, or most clothes. I seem to remember the main clothings were as followed:
Braies
Shirts
Tunics
Legging
Shoes of any kind
Cloak's
Coat's
Banded plates (Made for Kizaur, combines function of breastplate and mail, and weighs less, but has the cost that it cant equip mail with it. It is in general not better in terms of honor but weighs much less.)
Banded plate braies (Same. However, seems to be objectively better than greaves.)
Banded gauntlets (same as braies.)
Nordic helm's (based on viking helms. Better protection, but only 90% coverage.

Also, these armors cover only the chest hands feet shins and head. The neck, elbow, and knees are left uncovered. This is because the Kizarun fighters are supposed to have an emphasis on agility.
Anyways, This is their in-game description.

'A basilinian humanoid of great stature, eerie understanding of the natural order, and aggressive nature.'

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24:55 pm »

er, how do I add pictures?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 08:40:17 pm »

This button will make the tags [ img ][ /img ] appear in the text box. You put the URL of your image in-between the two tags. For example, here's the code for the image above:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/Themes/darkling/images/bbc/img.gif[/img]
You just need to upload your image to an image hosting site and then link to it from here.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »

report, fifth of granite;

Construction is pretty much finished, we are building our workshops en masse. Only the most important- the forge works and the organic workshops- remain to be done, and they will be done swiftly enough.
On another note, the soils have been tilled and prepared, and our planter tells us he is able to plant the seeds now. Good! The miners will soon begin the landscaping project.

in the meantime, I would request that you provide us with more labor. The elves are ever at our door back home, and this fortress shall be our future. I shall await your reply.

- Expeditionairy prince Aendrir vrin Celthios

(Post-script: I have included several sketches of the fortress thus far.)

Below is the to-be location of the fortress when we are ready to build the final version. As you can see, we are digging through the top in order to provide more room.

Wait!

It would appear there has been a mining accident. One of the miners foolishly mined away the last of the supports of an overhang outside of our fortress while constructing the trade depot, and he has been buried. While we are searching for him, there is little hope that he will be found.... We found his clothes and some Cidaelan glands just out of the rubble.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:53:59 pm by Talik »

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »

I have ordered the catacombs to be constructed early. I did not expect to have to build them this soon, but so mournful a loss requires it. We found his body, badly crushed, but it would appear that at least he died quickly. We are ready to construct the catacombs, and I ordered a larger version of them be built so that we would be ready if any more accidents happened.

On a happier note, we have struck not merely native platinum, surely a great find, but also the treasured Skaaline! The forges will be up and running soon, and then we will be able to forge this valuable mineral en mass. All is going as requested.

28th granite

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:32 pm »

3rd hematite
Well! Sorry to take so long, but I have had alot to do. The miner has been so busy, and no fighting needs done, so I personally took the old miners pickaxe and decided to pitch in. Within a day, we found not only native Platinum, but Skaaline, Amethyst, and Lignite!
A snowstorm came and cleared away quickly. Construction is well underway, everything seems to be progressing perfectly! Unfortunately, these minerals were found in the planned catacombs and gathering them would desecrate the now-sacred hallways.

Wait, for some reason the farmer is hunting for vermin. I asked him why, and he said 'to survive'. So I checked the stockpiles and they were full of plump helmets. Yet half of the fortress is starving.
I told them to eat the plump helmets- they were literally standing right in front of them- then they looked at me blankly and said 'what plump helmets?!?' I pointed at them but for some reason they were acting as if they were invisible.
Gods, im surrounded by fools.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 10:30:03 am »

First off, I would like to note that the labor waves have been very useful. The first wave was made up of primarily skilled workers who knew what to do, although I doubt the usefulness of the second wave. No matter, I am sure I can find work for them to do.
The farms have been very productive, but there are enough of us that we have had some serious food problems. I am solving these as fast as I can. All in all, many problems have popped up and each one I have solved rather quickly.
One of these, the miner who died in the accident, his ghost rose to haunt us. We gave him his final rites yesterday and he now rests in peace. The farms are now producing enough to feed us, and the dining hall is almost ready. I have set up a dormitory where our Kizarun can rest and built several bedrooms for the more worthy among us. Things are going verily well, although I am somewhat worried about the moral in our fortress.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:33:24 am by Talik »

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:03:24 am »

(question, I just got metal and cant decide what to do with it. My guys are supposed to have a military but the entity file for it didnt really work out so I am not quite sure whats going to happen with that. So what metal objects should I get...?)

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »

(also I will share the raws as soon as I am done editting and testing them. This fort is on a bit of a rough version of the mod as I didnt quite et the military down, its just that the world ended up being really awesome and I didnt want to give it up for the next version of the mod.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »

Metal spears/swords are your best bet - if your lizards can't be military types, they can construct hallway meat-grinders attached to levers instead.  No need for finicky pressure-plates, just set up a control room with plenty of provisions and flip levers to your heart's content.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »

sounds good to me. I will get some spears immediately, out of solid Skaalite
fun fact: Skaalite cannot be used in temperatre or warmer environments because it melts at ridiculously low temperatures. Thus, Skaalite was named using a nordic name because in warmer areas it wouldnt be notable as it would be practically useless. However, in the cold environments, it was useful and thus I gave it a nordic name (as i nordic environments it would be cold.)

The liquid is known as 'desert magma', because it will melt in deserts EVEN in the winter at times.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:06 am »

Hey, um, I just realised that the new DF build is probably coming out soon, I did several updates to the mod, and I have been a bit busy recently, so does anybody mind if I just wait until the new DF build comes out before I really do this...?