Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Competitive dwarf fortress version 2  (Read 4586 times)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive dwarf fortress version 2
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 12:17:57 am »

Personal Log of Ezum Obokingish, Militia Commander of the Glazes of Aging

First of Hematite, 126

Things are starting to fall into place here. What was at first a scramble for survival is becoming a routine. We recently had our first harvest of cultivated strawberries and longland grass. Just after, Zefon asked me to become the militia commander. Really, she asked me to become the entire militia. I'd have thought Atir would be better suited, since she's obviously handy with an axe, but Zefon told me something about woodcutters and axedwarves not getting along. I've usually got a pretty good feel for social relationships but I didn't get what she was saying at all. Just as well I suppose, since Atir's proven to be a bit of a hothead. Not the worst quality for an axedwarf, but a one woman militia needs a calmer demeanor.

Kel's been busy, and not just with Likot. I ducked into the cave to grab an axe and there in the smithy was a full set of iron armor. It isn't the nicest stuff, but it is roughly armor shaped and beats pig tail fiber. Urvad's been busy too. A new tunnel leads down to what I understand will become the fortress proper. We're calling it Inalobok.

I saw some ravens flying over the surface camp just before nightfall. An omen, to be sure. But an omen of what? Whose attention have we earned?

(How do you attach a screenshot in this thing, anyway?) Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:41:36 pm by Laserhead »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 12:51:09 am »

Upload images to imgur, then attatch one of the links.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:05 pm »

Notes of Kel Lekurdim, Shaper of Metals of the Glazes of Aging

First of Malachite, 126

This could still work. The women still scoff, still make jokes when they think I'm not listening. "Scrawny", they call me, "scrawny Kel". I was listening. Likot has helped some with that. Associating with her was a good idea. Working the iron has helped more. When they saw the axes, and the armor, suddenly me struggling with the hematite wasn't as much of a joke to them. Suddenly it was "Thank you Kel, could you make another for me?". Useless fools.

I took a look down in what is going to be Inalobok the other day. Still being excavated, Zefon has joined Urvad in the mining. It is going to be something great. A grand hall, carved into a vast sheet of marble. It will need great dwarves. It will reveal the truly powerful.

This could still work. They won't call me scrawny when I'm finished.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:34 am »

Diary of Rovod Tunniles, Groundskeeper of the Glazes of Aging

First of Galena, 126

We have guests!

Atir came running back from a tree chopping expedition last week, screaming at the top of her lungs (which have an impressive capacity) that she'd seen dwarves wandering over the nearby mountains. Naturally this caused quite a commotion within the camp. Apparently a small adventuring party from the Mountainhomes had been exploring monster lairs in the area and happened across our Inalobok. As they were low on supplies and tired from their travels, we invited them to join us. Six dwarves, two married couples and two gents with wives back under the mountain. They've been helping out around the camp, two of them have been helping to mine and another has been showing Ezum a few things about fighting.

It is nice to have a few more friendly faces around the camp, although the thought of living in an area dense with monsters is a little troubling. Good thing we've got more picks working underground. I'm hoping we convince them to stay on with us here permanently. I haven't spent much time thinking about the future, but if we are going to make a real settlement here we're going to need more dwarves. Also, their pack horse is looking mighty tasty.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:58 am »

Diary of Likot Erushrithol, Tinkerer of the Glazes of Aging

First of Limestone, 126

We had a little contest the other day, everyone made little trinkets from wood and bone and stone and things, and it turns out I'm the only one who is not terrible at it. Not that I'm anything special, but at least my figurine of a dwarf looked like a dwarf. Not that Kel's iron scepter wasn't nice, but I can't really see any noble wanting a slightly bent iron scepter as a symbol of their position. Urvad seemed to like it, though.

Between that and the crossbows I made before, Zefon wants me to keep making trinkets and things. I'm not sure if the merchant caravan will find us here, but if they do she wants to be ready. We could certainly use some seeds for proper dwarven crops. Not that strawberries aren't tasty.

I think our new friends are going to stay on, which is great. Litast and Kivish have been doing a great job helping with the digging, and Ezum's fighting skills have increased considerably under Atis' tutelage. Nish, Rith, and Etur have mostly been helping with farming and gathering wild berries.

Inalobok will be ready to move in soon. Not completed, Urvad and Zefon have some pretty grand plans for it, but at least we'll be spending most of our time underground. That will be nice. I should go check out how they're doing.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »

Personal Journal of Zefon Gikutsakzul, expedition leader of the Glazes of Aging

First of Granite, 127

It has been an eventful first year. We have faced some challenges, but we have survived. We made contact with the dwarven caravan out of Astalmistem late in the year, and were able to trade for some needed supplies. We also convinced a few of the dwarves to stay on here, and the outpost liason promised to inform the mountainhome of our situation. Hopefully this should lead to more settlers and supplies in the coming year.

We've also had our first taste of the dangerous monsters Atis' party warned us about. as winter came upon us, horrifying multi armed creatures descended from the mountains. Kivash called them "dark stranglers". Terrible looking things. Fortunately, Atis and Ezum were at the ready with Kel's latest gear, and managed to drive them away, killing several. The only casualty on our side was the war dog from Atis' party, which was overwhelmed and killed in the attack. Unfortunate, but it could have been worse. If attacks like that are going to keep happening, we'll need to start being careful about wandering around on the surface.

On that note, we've now moved into Inalobok completely. Most of the mining camp on the surface has been dismantled, and 17 dwarves now reside safely under stone.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 06:15:00 pm »

Laserhead, I think it safe to say you're going to win, this week.  All of the pictures are cool, but one small thing: think you could spoiler tag them, maybe?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »

Probably...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems to be a thing. I don't usually do these community forts but I was getting bored of just taming various challenging embarks of my own devising.  I liked the idea of this one, but it would be cool if more people were playing, or maybe if it were more "fun" somehow like an evil region or something. I guess FD does have the advantage of a challenge that grows with the fort for at least a few years.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 07:58:17 pm »

I don't usually do these community forts but I was getting bored of just taming various challenging embarks of my own devising.  I liked the idea of this one, but it would be cool if more people were playing, or maybe if it were more "fun" somehow like an evil region or something.

<glances meaningfully at own sig>

*ahem*

XD
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »

I tried that one first, it actually gave me the idea to try this one, but when I load it the symbols are all messed up or something.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

He uses a different tileset.  It does take some getting used to.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »

I tried that one first, it actually gave me the idea to try this one, but when I load it the symbols are all messed up or something.

If you use the LNP, you can update the save to whatever tileset you like, with the click of a button.  Tileset changes don't change the fundamentals of the save, and are therefore fair game.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 09:58:35 am »

Note that if you try to do it with a MOD, you will break it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:08 am »

Note that if you try to do it with a MOD, you will break it.

Thanks, Deon - I had no idea (I don't use mods).  It shouldn't affect the save referred to, here - which is another thread altogether.  Let's stop derailing this one, and move the convo over there.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
Pages: 1 2 [3]